Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2005, 07:43 AM

Breakfast...

How long before a pup should be changed on to 2 meals instead of 3?

I only ask this because the past few days, Archie has gone off his breakfast, he only eats about half of it and then demands to be taken outside (to play, not to pee).

Well every time he does this I try and encourage him to eat a bit more before I take him out, but generally he doesn't. When I take him outside I pick up his bowl cos I've read in many different books and articles that the bowl shouldn't be out for ages. In total it's out for 10-15min, which is ages, considering he gulps down his lunch and dinner in about 30sec!!

Anyway, today I left the bowl out to see what would happen, we went out and had a little play, and when we came back in he ate the rest of his breakfast!! Maybe I should wait a while in the morning before giving him his breakfast?
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2005, 07:51 AM
You could wait a bit before feeding him his breakfast. After a long nights sleep he might need to burn off some energy and be with you before he´s ready to eat
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Teagan refused 3 meals from the moment she came into my house!
So she's always had 2.

Teagan also likes to play before breakfast, comes back inside, and eats it all
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Small puppies have small stomachs. They cannot eat sufficient in one or two meals to sustain energy. I would be inclined to cut down on the amount that you feed at breakfas & dinner and offer the difference at lunchtime. If the gross amount is satisfying him just divide it into three meals
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2005, 12:13 PM
I changed Star onto 2 meals a day when I realised she did not want to eat all her meal in the afternoon. I think it was about 5 or 6 months. I gave her a few biscuits instead and increased the other 2 meals.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2005, 12:14 PM
max went onto 2 meals when he was 6 months but he is a lab and would eat 10 meals a day if i offered them