Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Captain Proton
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-03-2005, 12:37 PM

What dry food?

My pups been on Pedigree Puppy Complete upto the age of 11 weeks + and im going to try something different as this is making his breath smell.

So whats the best or most popular brand after Pedigree?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Captain Proton
My pups been on Pedigree Puppy Complete upto the age of 11 weeks + and im going to try something different as this is making his breath smell.
So whats the best or most popular brand after Pedigree?
Hi CP hope your puppy is doing well, it's a matter of personal preference what you choose but if feeding a complete I prefer Burns and have no smelly breath problems when feeding this even with an old dog of 14. Burns does not contain lots of additives , is not tested on animals and they do a good range of varieties. If you contact them via their website they will send you lots if samples and info too. They also have a nutritionist on hand to help you with queries .

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 12:50 PM
like mini, i always advise on a product not tested on animals, with no added colours or preservatives or 'meat derivatives'.

Burns is a popular holistic food, i also think Arden Grange is good.
Nature diet, tho not a dry food i dont think, is a holistic food also not tested on animals. James Wellbeloved is hypoallergenic, tho im not sure about animal testing. Autarky is also meant to be a good quality food.
Captain Proton
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-03-2005, 01:00 PM
I took a look at the Burns website, they do 1 type of puppy food which is the Mini Bites, so im assuming this is what i need.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi Captain Proton,

I'm feeding my 9 week old pup Burns, he came from the breeder's on Pedigree wet mixed with Eukanuba, which are 2 brands I'm not at all keen on. I slowly changed him over and he's doing really well on the Burns, I mix it with wet NatureDiet...
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2005, 01:16 PM
CP it is the Burns Mini Bites you are looking for.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Burns here too, both adults and pup!
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-03-2005, 04:11 PM
I too fed Burns to my youngest dog Dora [who you can see photos of in picture section] but am about to change to Natural Choice Wholebake. The reason being that with the Burns i still had to feed 1lb of green tripe a day with it to keep the weight on her.I could feed more Burns but she was already having more than i think was enough for a dog of her weight [55lbs and having 300g of Burns].
The Wholebake is a hollistic food also, made up of unadulterated cereal and herbage of which you feed 1/3rd of the diet in the morning and the rest of the diet will be green tripe,chicken wings,veg etc fed for tea.I feed this diet to my other dog who is 3 years old and he does really well on it so hopefully Dora will aswell.All dogs are different and it is a case of finding what suits your dog but personally i would not touch a dry food with additives etc.The other dry foods that have been mentioned i would look at plus one by the natural dogfood company [also hollistic]......Cheers...Ian..
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 04:27 PM
James Wellbeloved and Eagle Pack...the latter I would highly recommend although it is pricey it is well worth the money. I used JWB for two years and my dogs thrived.

Laura
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

28-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I used to feed JWB But switched to Royal Canin breed specific six months ago.

Dogs seemed to thrive on both also fed Ukanuba which is great for pups. I have very little to say about Pedigree other than it is not something I would feed my dogs.

JWB is and Royal Canin are both hypo-allergenic, have no chemicals additives or colourants, I have also heard good things about Burns and Autarky but have not tried them. Like Burns the only testing they do is to feed the dogs and check if they have any side effects and if the dogs like it..

Burns claim to no testing is not totally true, as they test it on their staffs animals. From the horses mouth so to speak

Stan
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >