Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 05:58 PM

Munchy chews?

I think that's what they're called, these funny looking chews that come in all shapes and funny colours.

Well I had little Archie bouncing up and down on my lap lol so I gave him one, I think these things have sedatives in them!! He just fell asleep on his bed under mu computer chair

But more seriously.... is this ok to give to a pup? I worry it's a bit hard, though he doesn't seem to mind?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2005, 06:01 PM
I was told not to give Star the ones with the red colouring in them as they make some dogs hyper. Seems to have done the opposite to Archie
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Oh, when I bought it there were all sorts of horrible coloured ones LOL, I try so hard not to give Archie additives and colourings. I just bought the brownish most natural looking one

WHen we first got Archie, the breeder told us we could give him soft treats like schmackos, we tried a couple of tiny bits and he was bouncing off the walls!! My mum says the same thing used to happen when she gave our cav Ben schmackos, which is odd as he was very placid, never really got too excited about anything

I think I'm gonna chuck the schmackos away!
Carole
Supervisor

27-03-2005, 06:13 PM
its just trial and error with treats. Some are ok for your dog and others they become hyper with and bounce off walls.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

27-03-2005, 09:32 PM
I would be inclined to stick to 'natural' treats, e.g. cheese, liver cake, boiled liver, sardine cake, etc. Steer clear of stuff containing artificial colourings & preservatives
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 10:35 PM
SB this is my intention, and I'm not sure how 'natural' these chews are! But I've been told not to give him rawhide while he's so young, and I just wanted to give him a chew that is a bit more rewarding.... can you recommend any natural chewy things? Not small treats but like chew sticks that will keep him quiet for a while when he's trying to assasinate me!!
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 10:38 PM
nature diet do some treats tuti. i get them in pets at home and they are supposed to be made from real beef or chicken and have no additives or anything. they are little and soft and i take them on walks incase there is a person on a bike or a person with a buggy to keep his attention. schmakos make max a bit loopy
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

28-03-2005, 05:14 AM
I don't know of any chewy treats that you can make at home. If you have an outdoor/camping type shop nearby you could see if they have strips of dried meat (usually beef or venison). Do make sure though that it is not salty, the naturally air-dried stuff is best.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2005, 07:27 AM
Or what about a marrow bone from the butcher? The butcher cuts them up & you could ask for a smalish one
Christine.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 12:30 PM
My lot do not like the munchy chews, prefering marrow bones and disgusting pigs lugs.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >