View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 05:03 PM
I actually bought a "tick remover" its like a pen wth a "hook"thingy at the end to get a hold of the tick and then u can turn it around till the tick gets "dizzy" and lets go and then u can pull it out and flush it down the toilet... or kill it in some other way
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 07:23 PM
I use frontline on all of mine, it keeps them tick free for 3 months at a time....
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Ive been lucky so far we have not found any ticks on Star, maybe its the frontline working
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Caz do u still give Star garlic?
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

26-03-2005, 08:38 PM
There is a lot of myths on this thread about ticks
Besides lymes disease, a couple of others they cause are babesia & erlichia but don`t think they`re endemic in UK....yet!
They do not pass on disease by sqeezing contents of stomach etc. The disease is passed on when it starts feeding off its host if certain conditions are met
Firstly it depends on what life stage the tick is at, then it`s also dependant on wether that tick is infected with any disease or not & then it depends how long the ticks been feeding of your dog(or other animal/human), some diseases will only be passed on after a couple of days after the ticks been latched on. It goes in a cycle but the quicker you get the tick off the better!
I`ll see if I can find a good site explaing it all a little better later
Oh & my lot have garlic regular & still get them, I find the best thing is be very aware of them & to go over the dogs several times a day
Christine.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Jeanette I only give Star garlic when I remember to get it at the shop. So she only gets it every so often.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 08:47 PM
if there is some of the head still in him, i would keep an eye on him if u cant get him to the vets.

i havent had a problem with ticks with indie yet, but my mums dog used to get them all the time when he was walked up the hills (near sheep). if ur gonna pull them out u have to be careful and makesure u get the head out too. I heard when i was little that to heat the tweezers up b4 u do it? but its prob jus a myth
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

26-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Most of the ticks we get are from hedgehogs, deer, sheep and foxes.

You pick them up in the long grass when they are tiny and they climb to the top of the long stalk and attach as the dog brushes past,

I have found the best method to remove them is nail varnish remover. get a cotton swab or bud soak in in nail varnish remover paint or wipe over the tick, the formaldehyde in the remover effectively kills or stuns it and you can almost just pick them off. I still use the tweezers though but have never left the head in using this method.

Stan
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Touch wood my dogs have never had a tick on them, I take them all over the country, and they sleep outside in forest etc when at rallies, I use frontline occassionally (start of rally season and start of showing season mainly) but my dogs do get a regular dose of garlic in the form of Brewers yeast and garlic tablets, they are also fed raw dont know if the lack of ticks is to do with luck or the garlic?

Mo
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Does stronghold keep ticks at bay?

Karen
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >