Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 03:54 PM

Regulating body temperature??

Can puppies/young dog control their body temperature effectively?

I only ask because Murphy seems to get hot/overheated very easily.

When the dogs come in to sit with us at night, they often sit on the sofa's with us and snooze.

Within 5 minutes Murphy is usually panting, fidgeting and huffing. Max is asleep.

We thought Murphy might be too hot with our body heat, so brought his bed into the living room instead of being on the sofa; but he still pants and fidgets and won't/can't sleep.

We've had the heating on, but only low. In fact the last couple of nights, we've actually had the ceiling fan on and the back door open, but Murphy is still hot.

Can puppies learn to control their body temperature, or is this something we should seek vet advice about?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 04:16 PM
I would have thought at his age he would be controlling it himself, its only usually when they are in the nest that you need to be extra careful as they can't move into warmer or cooler spots for themselves.

If he is just laying there and not attempting to move away to get more comfy I wouldn't worry about him. If he kept wanting to lay outside on cold slabs at this time of year I would suspect he had a temperature. If he seems fine in himself and at all other times, just like it when he's in for the evening I doubt the vets will have an answer.

Hope this helps
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Finn is the same at nearly 3 years old he would never think of moving to a cooler spot. He pants and pants and refuses to move when he is too hot. I put it down to him enjoying the heat so much Only this morning I was sitting at the pc and heard this panting noise from under my duvet. There was Finn panting away and making no attempt to move.