View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2006, 09:36 PM
I hope to God someone inexperienced does not do what Mic just done to that Dogs .If they Do Im sure A&E are going to be treating a Lot of people for Dog Bites. I Know Mic Knows what he is doing,but 100's watching don't .I think this is a very Dangerous Programme.

I don't claim to know every thing about Dog behaviour ,But with that Goldie Homer would not getting all happy and interesting and maybe waving a bit of chicken in front of it, got it walking.Did they try that and I missed it. I would not want to walk with those people they seemed so Flat.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2006, 10:00 PM
did anyone watch it tonight!

not sure i agree with all the training methods, but then not everyone agrees with everyone
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2006, 10:07 PM
i have to say i really dont like the way the woman trainer was tugging on that dogs head with a headcollar on - surely there is a better way to desensitize than that ?

Amie - I know what you mean about the move that mic did on that weimy. Done by an inexperienced handler it could have nasty consequences, however the fact that he kept it down and calmed it aswell, I felt ensured that it wasnt shown to be a violent action which was good.

I did think that Homer was very funny and certainly didnt liek walkies did he - have never seen a dog like that before. The owners did not seem interested by their dog though so I can imagine he was even less interested.

Its an interesting programme but I prefer VS- Its me or the dog to be honest as i feel she at least teaches the methods in their own environments more familiar to the dog.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Saw a lot of collar shaking from Debbie,that women would not be welcome within a mile of my Lot. Sorry

Amie - I know what you mean about the move that mic did on that weimy. Done by an inexperienced handler it could have nasty consequences, however the fact that he kept it down and calmed it aswell, I felt ensured that it wasnt shown to be a violent action which was good.

If Done by inexperienced owners ,Im would not be shocked to hear that some ones loses a Face.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog
i have to say i really dont like the way the woman trainer was tugging on that dogs head with a headcollar on - surely there is a better way to desensitize than that ?

I did think that Homer was very funny and certainly didnt liek walkies did he - have never seen a dog like that before. The owners did not seem interested by their dog though so I can imagine he was even less interested.

Its an interesting programme but I prefer VS- Its me or the dog to be honest as i feel she at least teaches the methods in their own environments more familiar to the dog.
completely agree brundog.
I couldnt help but think that using a headcollar with such harsh jerks would surely cause some damage. I couldnt help but notice that she was again using it on a long line... saw the woman at the end walking him on a long line with the head collar on.

also agree that there are better ways to desensitize the dog, i cant see her method being as effective.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2006, 10:57 PM
I think (not sure mind you as it's hard to tell) that after the alpha roll the dog was choked by Mic as i heard it gasping. If this is wrong then I apologise but i suspect i am right.

Dogs really don't have to be trained as if it is still the 1940s - we have, or some of us have, moved on. Good behaviourists work with such dogs every day and don't use headcollars to jerk or do alpha rolls etc. yet they have success. If I was any of those dog trainers I'd be ashamed of myself.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-03-2006, 12:55 AM
omg at the owners of the retirever, no wonder its a bit funny.lol

i didnt wanna scare it with that toy.

oooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

haha.

only half way through program though.lol
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-03-2006, 01:27 AM
ok, i didt really see much i would disagree with there tbh.

the roll could be dangerous not done properly, i think a huge warning should be displayed thre but generally it was ok.

so want mic to come and reinforce a few things with me.lol
DebVM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2006, 02:04 AM
hi mic, found this website tonight after going on yours thanks for that, and ive found one of my posts from another website, (i was commenting on fudges owner looking gormless after you asked her to close the gate) in your post on here! was try to big you up (as they say!) after you was getting a slating from that website, i know the one your on about! i get annoyed and stop posting on that topic (dog borstal), enough about that, went on your website earlier and realised you were the man i spoke to 4 years ago on the phone about our ben the pomeranian who i had just rescued at 10 years old and wasnt house trained because he had lived in a kennel for about 9 years! i was looking through the yellow pages for dog trainers in our area (we live in hemel hempstead) to talk to about ben and out of everyone i rang you were the only one that sat and talked, all the others were like "ok well bring him down bye then hung up! " didnt give me the time of day, so thanks alot, cant see anything wrong with your training at all, so i dont know why people are up in arms about it! if i was at dog borstal could i do sit ups instead of press up's because my stomach could do with toning! respect you for the way are because like i said in my post on the other site it's the people you have to work with sometimes! could keep writing but i wont! bye for now, debbie
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 09:03 AM
I watched it for the first time last night and have mixed emotions about it.

I can't believe people let their dogs get away with behaviour like that for so long! The weimy was a nutter I agree with you guys about the alpha roll, it was effective but I can imagine all these dog owners either being in shock by thinking he was killing the dog or having a go themselves. Amie is right, someone could very easily lose a face!

Homer was funny but his owners needed to be far tougher on him. Scared of a toy!!! That was pathetic!

Even thought all the training for all three dogs seemed very effective, I think there is better ways to discipline and train a dog than using sheer brute force
Page 7 of 18 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »