View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 11:38 PM

Dogmatic or Gentle Leader? What do you use?

After watching Its me or my dog on C4, I had a dogmatic headcollar which ripped on my first walk with Brodie, that being said it was a new style of webbing and was very weak for such a large strong dog. I wondered what everyone else thought of dogmatics compared to the head collar used by the behaviourist in the programme called the gentle leader as this looked stronger in comparison to the head collar I had?
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 12:41 AM
I recently bought a dogmatic head collar for Kira ,a leather one and so far its staying together well
She still now and again shoves her head into piles of leaves to try and rub it off ,but no matter what she tries she cant budge it ,she is slowly getting used to the fact she will not be able to get it off herself ,and she cant pull my arm out of its socket when she wants to go and see interesting things too
So even though I havent had the leather dogmatic for too long I would give it a big thumbs up
I've never used a Gentle Leader so cant comment on that
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 02:43 AM
We have the webbing dogmatic and they are the first headcollar they haven't been able to escape so far...Takoda is still in the stage where he is still walking like an idiot with it though...lol

I thought it was good on Me or the dog that they got headcollars on the dogs instead of the harness's which only helped them pull...

But it made it look like the dogs will instantly walk perfect and most don't...Most will thrash about like loons to begin with...I wonder if the labs did and they edited that out or if the labs really walked that perfect first time with them on. (I really liked the show though)

I haven't had any concerns over the strength of the dogmatic yet to be honest even with Takoda (90lbs)...Pulls like a steam train when he wants to and has thrashed about and rubbed it all over the ground till his nose bled!

Takoda's is stronger looking than Keena's with thicker fabric because he has one a couple few sizes up from hers...Keena's is more narrow though...So it's lucky she puts up with it more than he does.

Maybe you had a faulty one???...Maybe contact dogmatic about it??...At least they may exchange it or give you a refund??

Don't know about the Gentle leader...But I know the dogmatics are definitely tougher than Haltis as Takoda broke a Halti just minuets into his first walk wearing it...lol

I will give the dogmatic a huge thumbs up for staying put though that is what I am most impressed with.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous
We have the webbing dogmatic and they are the first headcollar they haven't been able to escape so far...Takoda is still in the stage where he is still walking like an idiot with it though...lol

I thought it was good on Me or the dog that they got headcollars on the dogs instead of the harness's which only helped them pull...

But it made it look like the dogs will instantly walk perfect and most don't...Most will thrash about like loons to begin with...I wonder if the labs did and they edited that out or if the labs really walked that perfect first time with them on. (I really liked the show though)

I haven't had any concerns over the strength of the dogmatic yet to be honest even with Takoda (90lbs)...Pulls like a steam train when he wants to and has thrashed about and rubbed it all over the ground till his nose bled!

Takoda's is stronger looking than Keena's with thicker fabric because he has one a couple few sizes up from hers...Keena's is more narrow though...So it's lucky she puts up with it more than he does.

Maybe you had a faulty one???...Maybe contact dogmatic about it??...At least they may exchange it or give you a refund??

Don't know about the Gentle leader...But I know the dogmatics are definitely tougher than Haltis as Takoda broke a Halti just minuets into his first walk wearing it...lol

I will give the dogmatic a huge thumbs up for staying put though that is what I am most impressed with.
Am having a few problems with Dogmatic over the tear in the collar, they are refusing to exchange it for a leather one and take the webbed one back, as I bought it online my credit card company are taking it up. Obviously now its getting legal and I dont think my relationship with Dogmatic will be a good one so just wondered about the Gentle Leader.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Ive used a gentle leader before and it worked well but like most other nylon head collars was not a perfect fit for a boxers short face so I changed to the leather dogmatic headcollar.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-01-2006, 10:25 AM
dogmatic for me
best head lead i have ever used.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Dogmatic , for me to.........it`s the best I have tried, (leather one)
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Yes I should of ordered a leather one to start with then I wouldnt of been in this situation.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 12:09 PM
i have a dogmatic for freya.its great
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by sutty
i have a dogmatic for freya.its great
I know I used the webbed one once on a 10 min walk and it ripped where the ring for the lead went, Dogmatic are being very dogmatic about exchanging it.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »