Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Thank you. A balanced piece of advice.

People can get quite judgemental and we are only talking about the possible use of a Citronella collar in a controlled, thought-out and neutral manor.

It doesn't mean I will slap a shock collar on an aggressive dog, or use a anti-bark collar on a dog suffering from Separation Anxiety.

I just don't things are quite so black and white as some of the reactions I have read.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Citronella is hopefully an aversive. As is Tabasco (in some cases), Pineapple juice (in some cases).

I have NO idea what you are eluding to.
Nope---I can see that.

And that is what is frightening.

You have no wish to consider the possible adverse effects of using the collar, no wish to listen to anyone who thinks it is the wrong thing to do and has given you their reasons.

Instead---as a 'trainee' 'behaviourist' you prefer to listen to someone who says they can't train a dog to do an instant down because it is the wrong breed and someone whose first port of call for any problem is to look to an e collar or other adversive.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No, I wasn`t. Where did you study? I`m not sure what methods you favour. Only I know TC has been on a course, and am surprised that he`s going for this option.

Dealing with symptoms rather than behaviours is a sign of inexperience. Like CM holding a dog`s tail up in a Wag position to `make him less afraid`. With an inquisitive pup, I would be looking at redirecting that energy into positive avenues.
What course did TC do? One to avoid possibly---same as AP's.

rune
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Just want to put this short bit of info up
Quote "How is parvovirus spread?

CPV-2 is highly contagious and is spread by direct dog-to-dog contact and contact with contaminated feces (stool), environments or people. The virus can also contaminate kennel surfaces, food and water bowls, collars and leashes, and the hands and clothing of people who handle infected dogs. It is resistant to heat, cold, humidity, and drying, and can survive in the environment for long periods of time. Even trace amounts of feces containing parvovirus may serve as environmental reservoirs of the virus and infect other dogs that come into the infected environment. CPV-2 is readily transmitted from place to place on the hair or feet of dogs or via contaminated cages, shoes, or other objects." Unquote

Now, can somebody please tell me how it is deemed "safe" to eat other dog's poo then, coz I'm quite baffled here!
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

Now, can somebody please tell me how it is deemed "safe" to eat other dog's poo then, coz I'm quite baffled here!
I didn't read a post that said it was safe to eat other dogs poo. But then I haven't read the whole thread.

I agree, eating dog poo is to be discouraged.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:38 AM
My main worry, with whatever method is used to try to stop coprophagia, is what the dog actually learns.

If you try to stop a dog eating poo using a remote collar, you've still got to be in the vicinity, & the same applies to screaming "leave it" or grabbing the dog & physically dragging it away. With any of these methods, you are using aversives that can & probably will, be linked to your presence. With the best will in the world, your dog will still know you are around, even if you are out of sight & administering the spray collar. Dogs very much "see" the world in terms of scent, so even if you're out of sight, your presence will very much be noticed by your dog. So this still leaves the dogs being able to eat poo when you're not there, with no punishment being administered.

Occasionally you'll be able to surprise your dog, by creeping up & staying down wind, but what's the point of scaring your dog or subjecting it to a relatively harsh form of punishment, unless you can be very sure it will work, especially such a young dog, with very strong early learning experiences? If it doesn't happen everytime, or the aversive is not strong enough or immediate enough, or not linked closely enough with the behaviour you want to stop, then punishment isn't likely to stop a behaviour that is extremely important/rewarding to the dog.

I was the one that mentioned tabasco earlier on ~ but on the basis that this could be placed on the poo without the dog knowing. It is also such a powerful taste (for humans, & I'd assumed for dogs, but I'll stand to be corrected if anyone knows differently) that possibly a one-off experience of a very unpleasant burning mouth, would make such a huge impression, that it could put a dog off for life. But if this has already been tried with no effect on the coprophagia, then obviously not worth repeating.

I'm also of the opinion that vigilance in & around the home, is a priority, to remove the opportunity for poo-eating. Then using lots of distractions when out on walks, e.g. play, treats, tuggy games. Also avoiding heavily soiled areas will reduce the opportunity.

There's probably a good chance that a young dog will grow out of poo-eating, but dietary reasons should not be overlooked either. And there's probably slightly different reasons for eating loose, fibre-rich herbivore poo, from dense, low fibre carnivore poo. So whilst my dogs are not averse to having a quick nibble of cow or horse poo, I'm not worried by this & don't make a big deal of it & the dogs, left to their own devices, just have quick nibble, if & when the opportunity arises. That's normal IMO, but I don't think obsessive eating of dog-poo is very normal. The vast majority of dogs aren't coprophagic, or if they, it's a phase that they grow out of.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Nope---I can see that.

And that is what is frightening.

You have no wish to consider the possible adverse effects of using the collar, no wish to listen to anyone who thinks it is the wrong thing to do and has given you their reasons.

Instead---as a 'trainee' 'behaviourist' you prefer to listen to someone who says they can't train a dog to do an instant down because it is the wrong breed and someone whose first port of call for any problem is to look to an e collar or other adversive.

rune
Hello Rune.
Im fascinated by your replies on here. They dont seem the normal you. Do you really think that using a ctironella collar is that bad? Im fascinated.....???
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Just want to put this short bit of info up
Quote "How is parvovirus spread?

CPV-2 is highly contagious and is spread by direct dog-to-dog contact and contact with contaminated feces (stool), environments or people. The virus can also contaminate kennel surfaces, food and water bowls, collars and leashes, and the hands and clothing of people who handle infected dogs. It is resistant to heat, cold, humidity, and drying, and can survive in the environment for long periods of time. Even trace amounts of feces containing parvovirus may serve as environmental reservoirs of the virus and infect other dogs that come into the infected environment. CPV-2 is readily transmitted from place to place on the hair or feet of dogs or via contaminated cages, shoes, or other objects." Unquote

... could also live in an oxygen tent with your dog

.. its also why u vacinate h
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
My main worry, with whatever method is used to try to stop coprophagia, is what the dog actually learns.

If you try to stop a dog eating poo using a remote collar, you've still got to be in the vicinity, & the same applies to screaming "leave it" or grabbing the dog & physically dragging it away. With any of these methods, you are using aversives that can & probably will, be linked to your presence.

A remote collar can be used from out of sight of the dog, from a bedroom window or something. And even with a human in sight, the dog is unlikely to associate human presence on the first or second occasion. That is why they are so effective.

I don't know of the tobasco method, so I cant comment with experince, on that, but presumably the dog could distinguish very eaasily between a poo covered in tobasco and one that isn't?

Given that the dog is identifying the poo as a source of food by SMELL, surerly if you alter the Smell of the food on one or two poo's, it will identify only poo's that smell of tobasco as non edible.

I get asked about poo eating all the time, most weeks in fact, so I am trully happy if someone can tell me of a real life working cure. And I'm willing to give the tobasco a go. But on the face of it, I would think a spray collar used out of sight, is far more likely to have an immediate and permanent effect. Indeed I know it can!

I do not advocate aversive methods unless every alternative has been looked at and or tried. But if it is in the best interest of the dog that it experinces and associate with a short term, repeat avoidable, bad experience, then I will go with that.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
.. its also why u vacinate h
Its an interesting misconception that vaccinations make a dog impervious to contageous disease.

One of the very few dogs I know who had Parvo for instance, was vaccinated against it. He did survive after being very ill indeed for many months, but his personality was seriously derranged and he has never been the same since. Very sad.
Page 7 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »