Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The problem is that certain vested interests have a financial incentive in perpetuating the myth.
And vice versa ClaireandDaisy
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I think there is confusion between the flexible pack structure exhibited between dogs in groups and the idea that any group of dogs has a fixed `pack structure` which is unchangeable except through challenge or death.
Of course stroppy / big / female dogs take the lead over `anything for a quiet life` type dogs. However this changes to suit the circumstances.
I don`t see how a human training a dog can expect the animal to `obey` because of their status. The dog doesn`t know your status. The dog knows what he has learned through experience. If the dog has discovered that A follows B and B is nice, the dog will try to do A again.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
After reading the synopsis i stopped reading
They stated that they haven't seen a ranking order in the pack only pairs...
Well i have a pack of 4 and there is a peck order.

And those who are not convinced of the dominance theory. Here is a question

How come that i can get things done from strange dogs without violence or force where thier owners can't get it done. I'm not speaking about difficult things only heeling.

Simply because i "dominate" the dog with my presence and my way of aproaching him with confidence. No force only mind over matter

Greetings

Johan
Have I seen you in a dedicated working dog or Mal forum?

Anyways, what you are doing is taking an aspect of an interactions and then applying it as if were an integral part of the individual.

I would bet that if you paid close attention, the pack is not really a pack. Is the pecking order you percieve there everywhere? For a ball, for a tug, to meet a family member, food, park, other dogs. Does one dog claim everything and every time? Of course not. Each dog may place a different value on things and will assert itself over the others accordingly; this is the (V) that the researchers are talking about.

I read everything, even if I disagree. How else would I could I comment on something I haven't read.
ume chika
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2009, 12:28 PM
To start it would be helpful if we had a definition of dominance in terms of this paper, they use the ethologist definition , dominance is normally defined as “an attribute of the pattern of repeated, agonistic interactions between two individuals, characterized by a consistent outcome in favor of the same dyad member and a default yielding response of its opponent rather than escalation. The status of the consistent winner is dominant and that of the loser subordinate” it doesnt mention about using dominance theory in training. It assess dominance in this way to see if it is a useful relationship descriptor. It proposes that prior experience and associative learning is in their experience a more likely explaination for dog vs dog aggression.

there is no evidence for or against dominance theory with relation to dog human interactions. I for one would like to read a paper on this, and maybe see another argument for 24 pages lol
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Although we can look at the credentials of those doing a study, where it was published, the methodology, etc., in the end, we must ask how well it explains behaviors we see.

It was a question on another site about a dog that rolls over on it back and urinates that reminded me of this. It the past this was labeled submissive wetting and building the dogs self confidence seemed to help. Another thing I remember was Kate at about 2 months old thrown in with 8-10 other puppies up to a year old. Kate was a very assertive little Lab. There were a couple of larger Shepherds that seemed to think she needed to be down on her back. We only had Daisy and Peggy both for a month or 2. They were continually sniffing each other's butt. Butt sniffing has been interpreted as an elaborate form of dominance and submission based on whose idea it is.

While I oppose much of the harsh ways of asserting your place in the pack, I see pack rank as a very important tool to understand and control behavior. Science is about what works in the real world.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
I am a little confused here, which of your dogs would have been an F1? Can you explain how it was an F1?
Mother = pure wolf, father was wolf cross.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Thankyou- I for one was a bit peeved that what might have been an interesting thread discussing new research has been hijacked yet again.
This new study contains a lot worthy of note. It is a pity it could not have been discussed properly.
Actually, what you should have said ClaireandDaisy is that this would have been an interesting thread had everyone agreed with the findings !

It is the fact that I have the nerve, the cheek to argue with the authors of the paper that you don't like !

Well I'm sorry, but I am not a sheep, if I disagree with something, I will say so. B-a-a-a-a-a !!

I agree, there was indeed much that is extremely interesting in the paper - thanks Labradork for supplying me a copy ! But I am still less than happy with the subject material. Sorry, call me argumentative, an attention seeker, gobby, whatever, I don't care. If I think something is wrong I shall say so.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 08:45 AM
or we could not talk about Gnasher........

Rescues abroad frequently keep dogs in one compound. In fact some in this country do, and the dogs get on well that way. Dogs are far less stressed in a group situation than if isolated, so `kennel stress` is an emotive but man-made term. I would expect a dog to exhibit stress if alone, rather than if in a group.
Has anyone read the full report? Do you know how the study subjects were kept?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Off topic posts will be removed shortly.

This thread is in one of our more serious sections - so please be -extra- careful not to post any off-topic replies. We aim to archive these sections as a useful resource. Thanks.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:08 PM
or we could not talk about Gnasher........

Rescues abroad frequently keep dogs in one compound. In fact some in this country do, and the dogs get on well that way. Dogs are far less stressed in a group situation than if isolated, so `kennel stress` is an emotive but man-made term. I would expect a dog to exhibit stress if alone, rather than if in a group.
Has anyone read the full report? Do you know how the study subjects were kept?

I've got the full paper thanks to Labradork, but I just haven't had the time to sit down quietly and read it. It is chaos here .. and so HOT !! Not that I'm complaining.
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >