Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 12:31 PM

Can dogs get post natal depression??

Ok, as you know Poppy's pups starting leaving us last weekend, last pup went yesterday. She was a very very good mum, was even cleaning up after them till the day they left. We separated her from the pups at night a week before they started leaving, which was an absolute nightmare, she barked and cried all night. She gets so stressed that she spends most of her time panting, we've had her checked over by the vet and he said she was fine, no temp etc.

She's back in the pack with my other dogs now, but has started carrying a small teddy around with her all the time, now she's not a toy sort of dog, she never chases a ball etc. She carries the teddy, then digs a hole and puts the teddy in, if any of my other girls get anywhere near, she literally flies at them barking and growling, then picks it back up and continues to carry it around with her.

I've now taken the toys away, do you think this is depression?? or is she really stressed because her babies have gone?
noubi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2007, 12:46 PM
it does sound as though she is very stressed poor girl, maybe you could try some herbal stress drops for her.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't know the definitive answer to that question, but, in your situation, I think I would treat her as I would if she were having a phantom pregnancy.

Keep her occupied with plenty of exercise. Take her out in the car, don't allow her to carry the teddy about. Take it away and don't let her see it, or any other pseudo babies.

With plenty of other things to do, she'll soon forget about her troubles.

Dawn R.
amandas-jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2007, 11:26 PM
like the message above when you said the dam could be showing signs of a phantom pregency well thats what happend to a bitch that i mated my dog with but after a couple of weeks after the vet said she wasnt pregent she gave birth to 2 girls and 4 boys
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks all, all toys have now been removed, we've taken her out for extra walks, so hopefully taking her mind off it.
donna-d
New Member!
Female 

17-02-2008, 01:31 AM
maybe try give the teddie back. when the pups where with her she felt her role was to love and protect them which she enjoyed. nw the pups have gone she wants to act the same with the teddy ... i think maybe ween her off the teddy