Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2007, 09:24 PM

post-natal depression

Hi was wondering if anyone has any advice for me?There is a woman at work with me who has terrible post-natal depression. She`s had it for years apparantly,and has ended up leaving her partner and three sons because of it.Most people at work don`t speak to her (they call her weird and worse ) mostly because of the `leaving her children` thing. I`ve tried really hard to make conversation with her but mostly get blanked,but the few times she has spoken we`ve got on well. There must be someone out there who can give me some advice on how she is feeling and how I can gain her confidence,I`m fed up with people writing her off.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
How sad, I had PND. I will PM you.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh dear post natal depression can be very hard. Some get it mildly some severe. My dil had it and it was like she was a different person. Is it possible you could get her to go and see her doctor. She will need professional help with this. I suffer with depression and believe me it can turn your life upside down. Good on you for trying to get her to talk a little she probably finds it hard.
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi Heather and Zac. Thanks for replying,apparantly she is on medication but has severe downers so maybe she does need to have it looked at. Unfortunately I don`t feel I know her well enough at the moment to suggest it,but it`s something to work towards.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2007, 08:15 AM
I also had counselling from my mid-wife team along with the meds. That is another area that really helps.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi GG. You are obviously a very caring person. The lady you are concerned about probably does get reviewed by her doctor regularly if she is on medication. I think that is she is managing to get to work and do her job well that she is doing extremely well. But, it may be taking all her reserves just to do that. This might be why she has blanked you once or twice. it won't be personal. Best thing you can do for her is to continue to be friendly without being intrusive and don't be offended if she doesn't respond the way you expect or want her to. She will remember your kindness, and one day may be well enough to show you that she is grateful. At the moment getting through the working day might be as much as she can cope with.
G.G.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Cheers Maebme,great advice!