View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 09:47 AM
OH was the same really, he'd never had so much as a pet hamster growing up so two large breed dogs is a bit overwhelming! We've lived together 18 months and I'd say it was the last 6 months or so he's really clicked with the dogs and got more involved - prior to that he'd only really join us on fair weather walks, took a bit of convincing to be dragged out if he had something better to do. Not that he was rubbish with them, I think he's been great to tolerate all the hair and everything - he was great at working around them before we lived together too despite it meaning he had to do the bulk of driving here rather than me visiting him, but I'd say he is much more involved now (and actually talks about wanting to pick the next dog as his own dog). We nearly even became failed fosterers over Christmas because of him falling for the dog, unfortunately our two didn't get along with her though! He's joined us on many rainy walks, he has a dedicated pair of dog walking trousers (this is a huge achievement - he's a real designer label snob when it comes to clothes!), and I often find his tops covered in white fur where he's been on the floor cuddling Casper.
Get him on Youtube and looking at Kikopup's channels. Lots of the tricks don't have much use in day to day life (but lots do, too) but if he spends time each day teaching her tricks, the bond will build and she'll learn to listen to him If he sticks to gimmicky tricks then at least if he doesn't quite get them right, it won't have too much of an impact (OH is enjoying teaching Casper to run between his legs but I'm not sure I'd trust him to teach a solid recall, for example)
tyr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
The other dog will do anything for anyone. She would happily trot off with a stranger
LOL, my collie will move in with anyone who has treats, had treats in the past or may have treats in the future!

Just a thought - maybe get your OH to train when you're not around? My OH finds my dogs a lot more responsive when I'm not there - as soon as I'm home, they check with me first.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I have to say Jed is a bit fickle and he'll happily work for anybody who's got treats. Flynn is a mummies boy and only has eyes for me and Jessie is definately a one person dog. My Mum cant even get her outside to go to the toilet. Due to her previous home I think she has trust issues and only really trusts me.

But I think the mixture of breeds I have are known for being loyal to one master.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 02:01 PM
hahahahaha

My 3 are exactly the same - they're MINE We are just about at the point now - 2 1/2 yrs on - that my OH can take them out without me but he finds it really stressful trying to keep an eye on all of them, which makes me laugh as I very rarely have to speak to them when we're out, they know the rules better than my OH!!

Just reminded me when I first started going walkies with my OH and giving him the commands etc we started on Kiara and my OH threw her ball and Kiz returned it me, he kept telling her to bring it to him and Kiz kept picking it up and dropping it at my feet! I was turning my back and ignoring her but she kept just picking it up and following me round in circles to drop the ball at my feet My OH was getting so frustrated it was sooooo funny as Kiara is really responsive to the tone of your voice, the OH's voice was getting higher and higher and he tried to remain calm Kiara did eventually take the ball to him which was just as well as I was getting dizzy !!!!

They're ok with him now but still listen to me more than him
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 02:09 PM
phoebe does this, as i walk, feed, bath, train, treat, groom and take her to work with me everyday. My husband is also away a lot. She does behave better on walks with him but thats as shes not as scared with him. Other than that its all about the mummy
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Hub & I have shared responsibilty for Tilly but if we are both around, she probably takes slightly more notice of me when telling her not to do something! - however he is the more fun, more playful one & gets the waggiest tale.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2