Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mazzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:10 PM

Help needed please with my 'dog-mad' Tibetan Terrier on his walks

Hi, I've just joined this forum, it looks great!

I have a Tibetan Terrier called Bobby who has always been a bit crazy, we love his personality, it keeps things interesting and I wouldn't want him to lose that. We have been strict with him since he was a pup and he is now very good in the house - no more trying to jump on us when we're eating, lol!! We even have a toy train running round the bottom of the christmas tree and he doesn't touch it.

He will be 2 next month, and the only problem I have with him is when he's out on his walks. He goes absolutely mad when he sees other dogs, he doesn't bark at them or anything nasty, but wants to play with them, and actually walks on his back legs like a performing dog if the dog he sees is on the other side of the road. I make him sit until the dog has gone past, well then all hell breaks loose, and he starts trying to bite the lead (obviously to get free to get to the dog) which results in me getting covered in mud, he just goes crazy and I actually have to hold him down on the ground until he has calmed down. It's got to the point where I dread walking him, we have tried rattling stones in a bottle, even a loud clicker, both worked for a few days but then he got used to the sound so we were back to square one. He even does this to people sometimes, especially if they are chatting or if they have children. It's like he's on the lookout all the time trying to find someone to meet!

Bobby is such a fun dog to have, but I really wish it was a pleasure to walk him, and I have to say it's not. We kept saying oh, he will grow out of it, but it's not got any better, and now he's fully grown it's hard to hold him back, it's like once he's seen the other dog I just become invisible and all he can focus on is the dog. He slipped his collar one time, and nearly ended up under a car, so now he wears a harness as I never want to experience that again.

I really would appreciate any help with this, thanks so much in advance.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Does he have much chance to play with other dogs? Maybe if he got to run around and play sometimes it would calm the behaviour down?

HTH x
Mazzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi Sarah, thanks for your reply.

Yes he does have 'doggy friends' who he sees on occasion. The whole time he is with them he just won't leave them alone, even if they are giving him signs to back off when they don't want to play any more, in the end we have to tell him off and make him sit and leave them for a bit, because the other dog needs to rest as he is totally all over them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 10:43 AM
It is natural for a dog, especially a young dog to want to interact with others, and it`s important that he learns dog ettiquette, which really he can only get from other dogs. I`d say your dog needs to be round other dogs more IMO. How about a training club so he learns to be calm round others? Also, why not let the other dog tell him when he`s had enough (provided there`s no aggression)?
Mazzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It is natural for a dog, especially a young dog to want to interact with others, and it`s important that he learns dog ettiquette, which really he can only get from other dogs. I`d say your dog needs to be round other dogs more IMO. How about a training club so he learns to be calm round others? Also, why not let the other dog tell him when he`s had enough (provided there`s no aggression)?
Thanks for your reply. Bobby has done training classes, puppy and bronze, in the kennel club group, he had problems getting his bronze award in the club, but managed to get it at the tibetan terrier fun day. He was always highly strung within the group, finding it hard to concentrate because all he could focus on was the other dogs. He was at classes for several months, but his social skills didn't get any better.

He has visits from friends dogs and also visits them, but is still the same, no matter how much the other dog tells him to go away, he just doesn't seen to get it, I'm sure he will get bitten one of these days, it wouldn't surprise me at all. He's a bit like an annoying boy teasing another child, if you know what I mean, when they don't know when to stop and don't realise that the other child has had enough. We kept thinking it would get better, but now he's nearly 2 we are getting a bit concerned as it does make walking him really hard work.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree with Claireanddaisy. I think it's best for dogs to learn some doggy manners from other dogs (if that's possible).

There have been times when someone's dog has told my dog off and the owner has apologised profusely. But I always say I don't mind, because it does my dog good to be told what he can and can't do by another dog.

My terrier cross is anout 2 and a half and is only just calming down. Your dog is still quite young so maybe in time he will mellow out a bit.
Mazzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I agree with Claireanddaisy. I think it's best for dogs to learn some doggy manners from other dogs (if that's possible).

There have been times when someone's dog has told my dog off and the owner has apologised profusely. But I always say I don't mind, because it does my dog good to be told what he can and can't do by another dog.

My terrier cross is anout 2 and a half and is only just calming down. Your dog is still quite young so maybe in time he will mellow out a bit.
Thanks for your reply Sarah. Yes we always let the dogs that we visit tell Bobby off, but he just doesn't seem to get it at all, he just carries on. I had heard that Tibetans mature around 2-3 years of age, a bit later than most breeds, and I'm really hoping that's true and within the next 12 months Bobby will suddenly realise he is not behaving as he should - but I'm not counting on it!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 02:43 PM
It's a shame you are no where near me, I have found that Selkie is a very good aunty to pestering puppies. She has a very calm nature and has put even the most silly of puppies in their place with ease. She just seems to have a calming influence, I'm sure I would be in the same place with Kismet if it weren't for Selkie's training.
Mazzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
It's a shame you are no where near me, I have found that Selkie is a very good aunty to pestering puppies. She has a very calm nature and has put even the most silly of puppies in their place with ease. She just seems to have a calming influence, I'm sure I would be in the same place with Kismet if it weren't for Selkie's training.
Ah, that's really kind of you, yes we are quite a way away, lol, I visited Colchester once for a friends wedding many moons ago, it's lovely down there. A friend's dog is very stable and tells Bobby off, he does back off a bit but is poised ready to bounce!
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I know how you feel. My Tibetan is just the same. This is my second Tibetan so I knew what to expect They just want to play with every dog in sight big or small, even when warned off by another dog they don't give up. My TT Ozzy is 10 months old and we are having some success at training classes but at the end of class when they are allowed to play he makes a beeline for the biggest dogs and jumps all over them, he thinks its great fun.
They are very intelligent dogs with lots of energy. What Bobby needs (and Ozzy for that matter) is a friend to play with, to run and let off steam. Another Tibetan would be best because their idea of playing seems to be different to other dogs. Be patient, they calm down when they are about 7
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >