View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2007, 10:08 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but those I have read are giving great advice.

I never 'punish' my dogs for something I've not caught them doing. Sometimes I'll say 'oh Takara' in a disappointed voice as a reaction - not actually addressing her and instantly she skulks under the table.
She doesn't know what I'm disappointed at her for, she just knows that mummy's disappointed and she doesn't know why.

If caught in the act, they are distracted from what they're doing and encouraged to find something else to do. I do not go and find a chew toy for them, I tell them to go find a chew toy. I hardly ever have to do this now as I rarely catch them chewing something they're not supposed to (they know to go and find their own things).

Dogs do not learn right from wrong. They may learn they can't chew the sofa, it doesn't mean they know not to chew the armchair. They can't rationalise and categorise things like us.

That 'guilty' look they have isn't them thinking 'oh, now I feel bad' it's them taking up a submissive, appeasing position in the hope of stopping you from hurting them.

However - if you are likely to lose your temper, I agree that she is safer in her crate
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned - but thought I'd just add, if she's been used to being shut in a crate whilst you're out, this may be the cause of her anxiety?

Perhaps she simply can't cope with having run of the house? As you know, dallies are very active, intelligent dogs and need stimulating. Many people have had trouble with destructiveness from their dalmatian. Does Tilly do any extra activities like tricks classes or agility?
TillyH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Does Tilly do any extra activities like tricks classes or agility?
Hi Lottie, thanks for the advice. No we don't do anything extra tho i'm sure she'd be good at agility, isn't she a bit young just yet? (8months)

just a bit of background since your a dally lover I fell in love with my friends dalmatian who we often walked and looked after for holidays, and always wanted one of my own. I knew a little bit about the breed cos of Pongo who is imo a typical dally (loving loyal hyper & eats ANYTHING)but I am in no way an expert.

meet pongo..

We did have a breeder lined up, kc reg and had a good reputation, and that was our plan.

Then we heard about some unwanted dalmatian pups nearby. The breeder (take that term loosely)
had a big litter and sold some of them but had a couple that she 'couldn't get rid of' (her words). I hope they would have ended up in a rescue centre but not sure that they would of. There were 2 girls, Tilly and a blue eyed girl. We took tilly, she asked for £50. I wish i could have had both, but didn't think i could cope. Tilly is not registered and isn't show standard, but as I wanted her for a pet only I wasn't bothered. Shes as much loved as any dog, but as i'm new to dog world i suppose i don't understand dog psychology, and was kinda treating her as a child. Which is why i'm on here. I would never ever hurt a dog, but i can see they are sensitive to emotions and not just physical hurt.

Tammy x
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2007, 01:05 PM
in that case, I suggest you get your hands on the following books, they can teach you so much:
On talking terms with dogs: calming signals, by Turid Rugaas
Don't shoot the dog, by Karen Pryor
The culture clash, by Jean Donladson

happy reading :smt001
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by TillyH View Post
...Shes as much loved as any dog, but as i'm new to dog world i suppose i don't understand dog psychology, and was kinda treating her as a child. Which is why i'm on here. I would never ever hurt a dog, but i can see they are sensitive to emotions and not just physical hurt.

~The photos you've put on here are lovely

I agree it would be really helpful to read some books and I can't really say any better than what Danishpastry's suggested. The Culture Clash in particular is very helpful in showing how to understand dogs as dogs (lemon brains! ) and why they do what they do.

Wys
x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi Tammy, can I just add, your on your way to becoming a very good dog owner you have not been defensive or upset by posts but you have taken all the advice, also your prepared to do thing in a diff way, will not take you long to sort out the wee issues your having with your dog, look forward to reading your post in future,
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Oh Gosh! TillyH I wasn't suggesting you would hurt her!!!

Just that they understand your body language and that's what the submissive postures about! Please don't think I meant that!

Dallies are great dogs, but they really need treating as dogs (moreso than some breeds imo).

I admire you for taking her on, we all make mistakes with our dogs - I've made some big mistakes in the past and still make them now, and always will.

Can I suggest the book - 'The Other End of the Leash' by Patricia McConnell? I'm currently reading through lots of books and have to confess, that's the one I've preferred and the one I think is better for the less experienced owner. I find the Culture Clash a little heavy to be honest...
TillyH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
Hi Tammy, can I just add, your on your way to becoming a very good dog owner you have not been defensive or upset by posts but you have taken all the advice, also your prepared to do thing in a diff way, will not take you long to sort out the wee issues your having with your dog, look forward to reading your post in future,

Aww thanks not much point in being defensive is there, you're all only trying to help
TillyH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2007, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=Lottie;1002046]Oh Gosh! TillyH I wasn't suggesting you would hurt her!!!

Please don't think I meant that!

[QUOTE]

No, i didn't take it that way, just wanted to make sure it was totally clear

And thanks for all the book ideas, will have a look on amazon see if i can find some, tho I can already see my husband rolling his eyes when they come through the post
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Tilly I agree with Dougiepit, this thread has been a pleasure to participate in as you have been so nice about anything that could have been seen by some others as 'criticism'. No one on here would criticise you, just offer advice, but some people can take offence at that. You haven't. I totally agree with Dougiepit and you have a very beautiful and very lucky dog. I too look forward to more posts form you (and more pics not to show to my son!!!!!)
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6