View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Oh dear. It sounds like something is definitely not right there.

If he were having a nice time, and enjoying his walks, he would love your dogwalker and be eager to go with them.

Please consider whether keeping this particular dog walker is the right thing to do for your dogs. I would be very concerned if my dog reacted like that to someone that had sole care of them for any amount of time.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for your help on this subject everyone, just one other point i would like to mention, my eldest dog is 7 and whenver the dog walker comes for him he hides from her and when he eventually gets into her van he cowers in a corner, do u think that he is frightened of her as he doesnt do this with anyone else like my dad who walks him sometimes he cant wait to go out.
What is he like with other people outside of the family? if he is normally friendly with others, I would be very worried if he reacted in that way to the dog walker. I walk a couple of my neighbours dogs sometimes and they are always super excited to see me.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:13 PM
I agree with everything thats been written already too.
Her 6 dogs plus your 2 plus some elses = too many dogs for 1 person to control.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:19 PM
She has about 12 dogs at one time sometimes more. If a person does dog walking for a profession do they have to have insurance policy and do like madisonobie says would I have had to sign a contract detailing vets etc.

Kobe is fine with everyone else outside family very sociable dog just when he sees her, even if i am home he doesnt want to go still goes and hides.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Legally I dont think you have to have insurance or get clients to sign a contract.....

But it is a sensible thing to do. To protect yourself as much as the dogs and your client.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I would say its pretty obvious then not to use this woman!
I am sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but if your rescue is stressed and your other one hides from this woman i would stop NOW!!

really hope you can sort some other arrangement out for your dogs....you may see a complete transformation in your little whippett.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I think the signs are there! I wouldn't ignore them. It may just be that he's afraid of the Van or maybe too many dogs in close proximately. Either way, he's not a happy bunny, so I'd definitely change the walker.

I used to take my Bichon (at the bridge now ) to a Groomer. Whenever we turned into the road, Holly would shake, would refuse to get out of the car, was completely distressed (she wasn't a nervous dog apart from this at all). At first thought she just had to get used to it but after about 4 visits, I tried someone else. Never used a different Groomer after that. Holly loved her and was never in a rush to leave the groomer. Though our dogs can't talk, I think they get their point across in their own way.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:32 PM
The dog is trying to tell you something, and I suggest you listen to it!

Get onto the website of your local council too, because most of my areas are now restricting dog walking to FOUR dogs at any one time together and this will happen all over the country eventually so they say, so she's breaking the law too if it's already a local law of your own council!

Blooming 'eck I wouldn't let this woman anywhere near my dogs I'm afraid!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Though our dogs can't talk, I think they get their point across in their own way.
Absolutely agree. I wouldn't ignore this and to be honest I think you've already answered your own question.
I hope you find another dog walker you can be confident in and at least now you know what questions to ask and what to look for.
Good Luck.
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Thanks for your help on this subject everyone, just one other point i would like to mention, my eldest dog is 7 and whenver the dog walker comes for him he hides from her and when he eventually gets into her van he cowers in a corner, do u think that he is frightened of her as he doesnt do this with anyone else like my dad who walks him sometimes he cant wait to go out.
By the sounds of it I think you've probably made your mind up already. As I said, you'll know your dogs better than anybody else, and if you can recognise so strongly how much your eldest dog is unhappy with the relationship than I think you probably already know it's time to look elsewhere. You really have my sympathy, because I know how it can be difficult when explaining to people that you no longer wish to employ them, not to mention the then having to find somebody else you can rely on, but looking over this thread I think everybody here supports you in your choice
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >