View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What would you do?
Booster only 8 61.54%
Full course again 1 7.69%
Other 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Booster...

hay,
I have managed to let my dogs boosters run out they were due in Jan, i thought it was March. I was gona just reboost them being three months out but now im not so sure with it being six months out.
Michael is 4 and suki is 5 and they have had their jabs since being puppies.

Just wondering what you guys thought, I know end the end its down to personal opinion, and some do it every other year ect.

Thanks
ATD x
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:38 AM
You will have to check your insurance (if you have any) as some insist on dogs being vaccinated - or will not cover anything that might be caused by the dog not being vaccinated. If your dog is over three months overdue, it will have to start the whole process again.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
You will have to check your insurance (if you have any) as some insist on dogs being vaccinated - or will not cover anything that might be caused by the dog not being vaccinated. If your dog is over three months overdue, it will have to start the whole process again.
I don't think OP is asking whether to vaccinate the dog or not but whether it's necessary to start the whole course again.
I've read various things lately with different views so it's hard to decide - one I read recently said that as the only real point of the 2-dose jab was because the first jab with puppies can be cancelled out by the mum's antibodies, there's no need in adults to do two doses. Others say that as long as the puppy had its two doses plus one booster a year on, it's fine to just do the booster on its own from then on, no matter how "out of date" you are, some say the whole course needs to be done again if you're 6 months late, and so on, difficult to know!
I would maybe find out what vaccine they were given 18 months ago as this could help make your decision, I'd look up the brand and see the manufacturers instructions, some are saying every 2-3 years is fine.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Personally i would just repeat the booster
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I personally would just have the annual booster. Lots of people dont seem to bother with the booster at all.
What has your vet said about it?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Phone your vet.
Ask how long the dogs` vaccinations are licenced for.
I think you`ll find it`s only the lepto and KC that need doing. The `biggies` are licenced for 3 years as a rule.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
hay,
I have managed to let my dogs boosters run out they were due in Jan, i thought it was March. I was gona just reboost them being three months out but now im not so sure with it being six months out.
Michael is 4 and suki is 5 and they have had their jabs since being puppies.

Just wondering what you guys thought, I know end the end its down to personal opinion, and some do it every other year ect.

Thanks
ATD x
I don't give my dogs boosters at all. However if you check the NOAH site for the vaccine your vet chooses to use & the dosage for adult dogs will be given. Unlike what most vets will require, some vaccines only require a single dose for dogs over 10 weeks of age
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:26 AM
one of my dogs boosters ran out over a year and I was advised he had to have the full 2 vaccinations again. My vet said if over due by 6 months or more then full vaccs again.

i think different vets have different opinions regarding vaccs and boosters.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
one of my dogs boosters ran out over a year and I was advised he had to have the full 2 vaccinations again. My vet said if over due by 6 months or more then full vaccs again.

i think different vets have different opinions regarding vaccs and boosters.

One of mine went over by just over 8 weeks and the vets wanted to do the full course again. I wasn't happy and just wanted the booster but they were adamant, so I've left it until he's due to go in kennels and he'll have the double dose then.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:33 AM
hay,
thank you for your replies, I have to have them vaccinated due to the possibility of kennels needing to be used. SO not vaccinating at all is not an option.
I spoke to the receptionist and she said 2-3 weeks and they are out of date.
Am I correct in thinking that if I get them their 1st jab in the next few days then I have a couple of weeks to decide weather or not to get the 2nd injection? That way I can research the vaccination the RSPCA use and also speak to the vet.
ATD x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >