Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Teaching To Stack

Hi there, I am interested in the methods members use on training your dogs to stack?

I have read so many differing ways to teach it! Rotties have to be free-baited but of course they must learn how to stack properly first.

How do you train yours? (Marius is coming up 5mths this week)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 01:33 PM
I started Isla when she was about 9/10 weeks old. I'd take her and place her on a table and do some grooming first off. Once that was done and she'd had chance to settle I'd start to place each foot and hold her in the stand position with the command "stand". Each time I did it I increased the length ot time she had to stay still and gave a sharp "a a" noise if she tried to move at all. The addition of cheese for staying still also worked wonders, surprise, surprise!

Once she was happy doing this we started ringcraft and she learnt to stand on the floor and be gone over.

Now that was a challenge!

I have to say I didn't realise you had to learn to stack first for a freestood breed, you learn something new everyday eh?!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Basically it's repetition and reward. Cannot beat going to ringcraft though and the sooner you start the better. Mine start at 8 weeks.
Becky
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi Anne-Marie - at our ringcraft (well haven't been for ages) none of the rottie pups are 'stacked' they are always free stood/baited - I haven't seem them teach them by stacking first?

Happy to help on stacking but not sure you really want to go down this route with your boy - initially when babies they just support them being gone over and don't worry too much on feet positions but then when older they back them into position - can't recall them ever using hands!

Have you got anyone local who shows rotties who can help? Or as suggested a ringcraft nearby - you can't learn enough from someone who can 'show' you!

All the best AM
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-05-2007, 02:13 PM
i saw the title and i have to say i'm a little dissappointed

i was expecting little doggy pyramids in sparkly matching jumpsuits!!!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your replies - lol love that last comment!!

Maybe I have phrased it wrong Rips, perhaps I should have said they need to stand properly.

I do go to ringcraft and there have been some tips given. Rotties are free-baited which I do, however Marius does not always have his hindquarters far enough back and sometimes his front feet are too close together. I have been practicing with him since he was a youngster and I use a mirror to see where his feet are being placed.

I am torn on how much to correct at his age, I don't want to 'fuss' too much correcting his position and make him fed up, however, I don't want him learning a bad stance either

The other thing he does is greet the 'judge' as they approach and break his stance, I can get him to stand again afterwards using the bait, he is just being friendly. Whilst I want to correct him I don't want to make him scared of the judge by telling him off for moving to greet them!

I know we have Rottie-folk on here who show, perhaps someone will let me know some tips!
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2007, 02:52 PM
I saw somewhere,US I think,where they screw sort of brick sized wedges onto a larger board,and the dogs learn to stand on them,correctly set apart,never seen it in life though
Wendy
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I have! They do it in this country too!
Puppy on Blocks
Becky
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I also have a free standing breed.It is very much frowned upon to use any help in the ring to assist your dog to stand correctly...infact we had a critique recently comment about handlers using their foot to adjust a front foot of a dog.
I start from as soon as my pup is settled at home by stacking on the table.I place bait infront of the pup and placa each foot in the required position...telling the pup 'stand'.The pups soon learn how to stand and get a reward .
By the time they start ringcraft at 12 weeks they are able to free stand.
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2007, 07:42 PM
in Mastiffs if they're upright,you're laughing
Wendy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >