Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 02:01 PM

Bait For Puppies

I have been using bits of Turkey slices for bait, two reasons it is easy to handle, not too smelly and doesn't leave a sticky mess on his teeth. He likes it but when at ringcraft his nose always drifts to other peoples bait like the liver cake!

Normally I use liver cake as bait for adult dogs, but I don't want to use this as Marius is quite young and don't want to upset his tummy.

Anyone any tips on other bait to use?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I use cooked cocktail sausages, already cooked from the supermarket.
Dawn.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Anne-Marie,

I find that whatever bait I use, they always think someone else has got something better.

Bradley is mad on sausages so I take that chopped into little bits but then find he's after someones chicken or cheese. I've tried both of those with some success but he still wants other people stuff regardless of what I take. I did take peperami when I was training Giddy and that was brilliant, all the other dogs wanted it too, but it does make your hands and clothes smell of it.

Quite a few people at our ringcraft just have a pocketful of kibble, he's never interested in that though.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 02:08 PM
How about a mixture - couple of bits of liver cake - cut very small and the turkey slices. Cheese or cooked hot dogs also a good selection.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the tips - ready cooked cocktail sausages, never thought of that what a good idea!

Now then like the idea of taking a mixture of goodies, I guess that way he won't switch off and get bored. He is a guzzle-guts and loves his grub, I am just thinking of when he goes to shows he may get distracted by everything going on.

He does love cheese, so I will try the cheese and sausages and see how we go!

Thanks for your help all xx
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 02:50 PM
I buy liver, chop it into little bits, and put it in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Its quite dry to handle and jess loves it.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi anne-marie I use cocktail sausages and cheese and sometimes a couple of bits of frolic as this does not mark clothing if put in a pocket.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I dry small pieces of liver, cheese and sausage in my dryer which seems to go down well. Alternatively I use Pet Protects puppy treats which are liver and heart.
Becky
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
How about trying pepperoni that has a strong smell and i found that even the smell of it on your hands kept my pup's attention as i had the same problem that someonelses titbit was tastier than what i had or a strong smelling chesse. Then you may find that other peoples dogs may be more interested in whats your pocket:smt043 :smt043
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 09:13 PM
My winning combination was discovered during agility on a hot day.

Place chopped cooked chicken, diced cheese. small dog biscuits and some dog choc drops ina bag.Shake bag to mix well, leave in a warm place to go soft then place in fridge.This can then be crumbled or chopped into tiny pieces.

Stinks like baaaaaaaad cheese but Fudge was one agile pooch !! lol.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >