Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by cyclingscott View Post
Thanks beachlover and smokeybear.

Smokeybear, are you saying that I can't do anything more immediate to get her attention while she is fixated on something else? We are working on the recall and it is getting better but I am realistic and know that it's not going to be 100% for quite a while yet. In the meantime, it would be nice to be able to do something to get her attention back to me rather even when she is on the lead. When I have her attention, she actually walks to heel really well.

Scott

You are putting your dog into a position to fail because she is not sufficiently removed from the stimulus which elicits the response.

The answer to your problem is to take her to areas where there is much less distraction.

Why not use her predispositions to your advantage/?

Have you looked here:

http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/aca...hippitdvd.html

I recommend this DVD because most people are PANTS at making a toy "alive"

This is where I would start with a dog of this nature.

Because YOU can control access whilst teaching your dog self control and observing her body language.

If you do this at home you can then redirect her chasing instincts into something which is controllable.

You have to be prepared that dogs of this nature will generallyl always find real fur and feather far more intoxicating than anything else you can offer.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
I found that training recall with a whistle was so much easier for when my dog was distracted.

I think when something way more interesting going on, its hard for dogs to listen to vocal commands.

If you use a whistle make it the most exciting thing in the world!

I had a break through moment a few weeks ago, when my dog was foraging in the bushes and came out chasing a deer! She ran totally out of sight. I called her.. nothing. I got my whistle out, gave a massive blow, and she came bounding back!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I totaly know what you are saying about the look your dog gives you while you are trying to entice them to play
I remember a great game in the park - me running around like a loony playing with a football, Ben sitting at the side watching me like 'I love you mum but your a bit mad'

When your dog is so focused on something they cant take treats or stuff then they are too focused to snap back to you really until you have done some more training

Just move away a bit till they can focus on you

In a safe quiet place practise the rewarding for focus
also I work on a 'this way' command to mean I am heading off in the opposite direction - it seems to work better on my girl and getting tru the fixation than asking for focus or a sit or something - even better if you turn round and race away so they get a chase game

mainly tho I think you are doing the right things just too quickly - it takes a lot of repititions in quiet places before a recal becomes an instant response that the dog dosent even have to think about
cyclingscott
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

thanks for all the advice. I took Dottie for another walk tonight and it hit me that I might not have been 100% clear in my previous post.

I am still working on recall and, like I said, the advice is appreciated. However, the specific problem at the moment is that there are several sections of the park that I can't even walk Dottie through on the lead without effectively dragging her along behind me-even if there aren't any squirrels or birds visible, she gets into her "hunting mode" and tries to run off towards the bushes/trees where she knows there are animals. Any ideas how I can do something about that? The rest of the time she is really good on the lead.

Thanks,
Scott
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Substitute "recall" for "attention" and you'll probably have some applicable advise - is her attention 100% focused in the slightly less distracting parks of the park? If not, this is a good place to start. Start with the "watch me" etc at home, then the garden, then the park, etc., building up to the most distracting environment, but at Dottie's pace
cyclingscott
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-06-2011, 08:02 PM
OK. I wouldn't say 100% focussed in other parts of the park-sometimes it is but not all of the time. It's just a massive contrast between 2 or 3 sections and the rest of the park or on the way to and from the park.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

thanks for all the advice. I took Dottie for another walk tonight and it hit me that I might not have been 100% clear in my previous post.

I am still working on recall and, like I said, the advice is appreciated. However, the specific problem at the moment is that there are several sections of the park that I can't even walk Dottie through on the lead without effectively dragging her along behind me-even if there aren't any squirrels or birds visible, she gets into her "hunting mode" and tries to run off towards the bushes/trees where she knows there are animals. Any ideas how I can do something about that? The rest of the time she is really good on the lead.

Thanks,
Scott

The same advice I gave in my previous post applies, get your dog hooked on a toy, make it alive as per the whippit etc.

You are taking your dog into situations where you have absolutely zero chance of getting her attention if you have nothing else to offer her than yourself at the moment.

Having a hunting breed is a challenge and, for those of us who are aware of it, we start from 7 weeks in making sure they do not go self employed.

Get the DVD, get the whippet equipment and work on that in a "sterile" environment and if you want to walk your dog I suggest you go on the streets to begin with so that you can enjoy the parks later.

HTH
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2011, 09:10 PM
If you want your dog to focus on you, you both need to practice it!

Try when you are at home. Not sure if you do clicker with her?

Wait until she is looking at you, say your command ("watch me etc.") and treat. Keep that up for a few days, and DON'T TRY IT OUTSIDE! It needs to be 100% inside first.

Then try it in the garden.

Then try it outside with no distractions.

Make sure the rewards are REALLY GOOD! Use some of her tea if needed.

I can't stress enough, while you are training, DO NOT use this command while out where your dog may be distracted and not respond.

It sounds a long time and a lot of faffing, but it really will work!
cyclingscott
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks again,

I have ordered the DVD-hopefully it will be here soon.

Obviously we have to walk her-I think she would go nuts if we didn't. Is there any harm in taking her to the park if I don't try and get her attention when there is a chance she might fail? There are parts of the park where she is good already and I have her attention 99% of the time if I want it.

I haven't tried a clicker yet but am thinking it might be a good idea?

Smokeybear: If only we had had the option of starting from 7 weeks I'm sure it would have been much easier. But we have her now and I don't want to give up on training her to behave well just because it's not easy.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks again,

Obviously we have to walk her-I think she would go nuts if we didn't. Is there any harm in taking her to the park if I don't try and get her attention when there is a chance she might fail? There are parts of the park where she is good already and I have her attention 99% of the time if I want it.

Then take her to those parts of the park where you have her attention and avoid situations where you do not and may fail. If you have your dog on a long line you do not really need attention but I would work on it day and night in the house and then in the garden.

I haven't tried a clicker yet but am thinking it might be a good idea?

Only if you WANT to use one. Many thousands of people train their dogs perfectly well without using one.

Smokeybear: If only we had had the option of starting from 7 weeks I'm sure it would have been much easier. But we have her now and I don't want to give up on training her to behave well just because it's not easy.

Ahem, if I gave you the impression that you must now give up on her training because she is (insert relevant age) then I apologise.

As you will see on my recall post, it is aimed at ALL ages and sources including rescue!

Good luck, having a lurcher is always interesting!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >