Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duberman
New Member!
Male 

08-01-2015, 07:34 PM

Dog has started excessively sniffing everything and dripping from his mouth

Hello, I've got a bit of an odd thing going on with my dog and haven't been able to find anything similar about it on the Web so I've decided it's time to stop lurking here and ask you guys

I have an 18 month old sharpeither staff cross and he's been neutered. He's recently started sniffing excessively, and dripping from the mouth, not as in drooling (which he does plenty when he's playing/running), but literally dripping watery drops of saliva, as if he's just had a drink.

And when I say sniffing everything, it's to the point of randomly stopping whatever he's doing and sniffing the most random things, like a chair leg or the TV stand. He's particularly interested in a certain door handle and a part of the wall. He tends to drip when he's sniffing things and it gets to a point where you can't stroke him because if you stroke his ribs he stops, sniffs your hand and starts dripping. You're soaked within minutes and he positionsaid himself in such a way that you stroke his ribs and repeats it, going round in circles; stroke ribs, sniff hand, move in a circle so your hand on his ribs again, etc.

He also has this head shake thing he does when he's sniffing which causes drips to fly every where. It's not a normal body shake, just his head. And it has an odd sound to it, like water slapping against something.

I'm sure you might think it's odo and nothing too serious but it's getting very out of hand now and playing with him isn't great because he stops to sniff everything in the house and stroking him gets you so wet you have to change clothes at times.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thank you
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2015, 08:00 PM
I'd have a chat with his vet. It could be behavioural, but if this has just started recently and is becoming obsessive it could also be medical.

Always rule out the medical before considering behavioural
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Vet visit I'd say too.Maybe also if you can have a look in his mouth,see if there's anything abnormal going on.Fingers crossed for him,hope he's ok.xx
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2015, 09:05 PM
1. I'd check his neuter is 100% complete. Sometimes in horses you get what is referred to as a 'rig'. Where a testicle or part thereof has been left behind. Think it's called cryptorchid or something like that where one hasn't dropped.

2. Have his teeth and ears checked

My boy is very particular about where he gets stroked and it's either under his chin or on his side (he will wander over and lean against any foot that sticks off the sofa)

It sounds hormonal to me, what's he like with other dogs?

Someone on here has sharpie who may be able to shed light on any 'pei quirks.

I'd say around 18months is a key milestone for boys
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Is there a bitch in season or bitch of any description been in your house or have any household members been near any other dogs?

It sounds like someone is bringing the smell in with them. Bear in mind dogs can smell dead bodies through concrete so you don't physically have to have touched another dog/great smell with your hand (although the door handle thing points me in that direction)
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Is there any chance he could be smelling a mouse or something like that? Just trying to think of ideas. How long have you had him?
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2015, 01:03 AM
I haven't really got any suggestion of what could be wrong, but just want to say that profuse salivation is usually a sign of nausea.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2015, 05:55 AM
Good thought, CaroleC, and I didn't know that. Could he have something caught between his teeth or on his gums? Or maybe there's a scent that smells lovely, but he's allergic to it. Could be something new being carried into the house like Dobermonkey said. Anyone taking a new route home from work or school or taking a walk? Could even be a new person someone is in contact with every day. Or a new perfume or shaving cream.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2015, 08:04 AM
I have an 18 month old spayed Shar-Pei girl ... she's my second one so I know the breed quite well.

From what you describe, I'd guess that the shaking of the head is possibly an ear infection something which Pei are prone due to having short and tiny ear canals. Take a look and check whether there's a build up of brown gluey wax in his ears and whether they are smelly. If so I'd take him to the vet to get them cleaned and prescribed antibiotic ear drops.

Entropion is also common in Pei and his constant sniffing could be an indication of eye problems. My girl developed severe entropion at 4 months old and for several months was partially sighted. She compensated by having an over sensitive sense of hearing and smell. Again you need to take him to the vet to have his eyesight checked.

The over salivating might be because your dog is in pain. Pei have an extremely high pain threshold which is hard to detect because of their subtle body language.

I could be wrong as I'm only going from what I know from my own dogs ... good luck and I hope you soon get his problems sorted out!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2015, 10:44 AM
I have an 18 month old sharpeither staff cross and he's been neutered.
Hello Dubs when was your dog neutered .Be aware that hormones may continue to circulate in a neutered dogs for quite some time afterwards and can still affect their behaviour.

The behaviour you described can be connected to scents and savouring smells (including his own) .

I would make sure his anal glands are ok also the folds of his mouth which can become infected and cause a scent which a dog can then spread around and 'savour'.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >