Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Dog agression

We had a major blip with our dog as he shot out of the field he was in and attacked another dog doing quite a bit of damage.we have of course paid the vet bill for the other dog but it has really upset me .Ben has had issues with dogs in the past and is usually muzzled but it was dark and my husband had taken it off not expecting anyone to go past.He is obviously upset that he made a mistake doing this and will not make this mistake again but I have really taken this incident badly and am finding it hard to get past.My husband says it is done and we will make sure it does not happen again but I cannot seem to get pass it Any help gratefuuly received.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Have you seen a behaviourist yet to help address the aggression?

For the time being, the only thing you can do is continue to use the muzzle all the time no matter what.

Do you know what his trigger is? Is it all dogs, loose dogs, dogs on leash?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Sounds like it was a genuine mistake and your husband got caught out thinking it was safe when it wasn't.
I would say as long as he has learnt that unexpected things can happen and never takes the muzzle off again when out whether it be late or dark or both then try to move on.
You have been responsible in as much as you admit you were at fault and paid the vet bill. Just make sure it is never allowed too happen again which by the sounds of things it won't.
I hope the other dog recovers well.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2014, 01:02 AM
It's like human kids sometimes, it's hard not to take our dog's behavior personally sometimes. I used to let Sophie off leash at the nature reserve. She was fine and happy for many years running the trails with me. If she saw another dog she was often happy to run with it. She's shy of people so no problems there.

She's always been beserk with other dogs when she's onleash but off she was fine. Then earlier this year we were walking as usual at the reserve and just a small significant change in her behavior. She ran in back of me. Something she NEVER does. Always beside or ahead of me but never in back of me.

In that split second she attacked an off leash puppy behind us. It's a blur even now, the owner beating at her while I had her in a headlock pulling her away, gah then she pulled out of her collar. The poor puppy and poor owner and blood...not a fatal wound but nasty regardless.

I don't know what I felt at that moment. My idiot dog needs to be muzzled into eternity now I suppose. But just appalled at her behavior. Fortunately the owner didn't call the park rangers or anything. But now I am hyper careful that she is never off leash and never has a chance to attack another critter. She's attacked other dogs and killed several cats in the past.

I don't muzzle her...yet. If we had remotely any other issue I would. But it's not our fault our dogs are "special". It doesn't mean you're a bad person or incompetent owner.
It just means we have to keep our dogs safe from themselves and away from other creatures. But it's not something we created. Some dogs just have their issues.

If your pup is under say eight years old a behaviorist could help. My Sophie is elderly at this point so it's hard to change hard-wired behavior. Best of luck to you, it's okay.
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2014, 07:30 AM
ben has been taught to sit and watch me when other dogs walk past as he can have issues but usuaslly on lead which although he still should have been muzzled it was more unexpected.He was attacked by a collie about a month ago a his eye was bitten. He was on lead and we have had an on going problem with this collie and another dog charging down the road off lead at Ben barking and having a go .The owners of these dog have no control over them and we have asked the owners on numerous occasions to put them on lead so although this is no excuse I don't think has helped and since being bitten we have since a trouble getting him to sit and watch us.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2014, 11:21 AM
My dad has a recuse dog , she's gentle and loving. With everyone , But u take her out and she tries to fight any dog she sees . We think she was taken away from mum to early and didn't learn right from wrong . The funny thing is she loves jake , and plays with other dogs.
Your not alone with your problem . But u do feel everyone is looking at you like your a bad Dog owner when your not at all.
Do u walk him around other dogs or is he kept away from every dog .?
Don't give up hope your doing your best and the fact it upsets u show that xxhugsxxx
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2014, 03:54 PM
It's one of those where you almost don't know what's worse: your dog biting someone else's, or your dog being bitten.
Especially when blood is drawn, it's just an awful situation all round. And inevitably most of us will end up exacerbating the issue because we'll tense up whenever there's a unfamiliar dog around and put our dogs on high alert.

Ben has obviously decided that attack is the best defence and at unless you are happy to walk him with a muzzle only, it will probably take a good bit of reconditioning to get him over his fear aggression.
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Rather a muzzle than another incident for everyones sake and for my sanity
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Good idea, as I said one of the hardest things about having a problem dog is other people and their disapproving or questioning looks. Walking the dog is when many people stop and chat in our neighborhood. If I have Sophie and we unexpectedly see someone who might be with their canine I have to call out " She doesn't like dogs!" then haul her away.
Sometimes that means grabbing her around the waist and actually carrying her the other direction...she weighs close to 70lbs, no small feat. I'm sure some people think she's been injured and/or I'm going to fall over from the effort. But you learn to do what ya gotta do.
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
Sometimes that means grabbing her around the waist and actually carrying her the other direction...she weighs close to 70lbs, no small feat. I'm sure some people think she's been injured and/or I'm going to fall over from the effort. But you learn to do what ya gotta do.
OMG.. that's a work-out and a half!
I really hate the double standards some people have when it comes to dogs v humans. We can be grumpy as all hell, but oh no, dogs are supposed to be all fluffy bunny and ok with anything we put them through.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >