Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rottie boy.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-11-2012, 01:33 PM

What's the best guarding breed

And would your dog protect you. My rottie is the soppiest friendliest dog I've ever had,just wants cuddles and kisses,however he is protective of my 2 little girls,and to a lesser degree me and my wife.however if a burglar got in I think he would be pleased to see them lol.so what breed are the most natural gaurders?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't know as 'guarding' has never been on the list of reasons for me owning a dog. Nor for any of my dog owning friends or family members.

If it's for 'guarding' business premises - seems to me that GSDs are popular. I always feel very sorry for any dog left alone to just prowl and 'guard' premises when they are closed for business.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I would say mine! She's an absolute nightmare when people call at the door, or ring the bell, but she does let them in with the help of a bit of cheese and her ball shoved in her gob when they enter. If they're not coming IN though, she carried on, absolute nightmare.

If you ever met her outside of her own property though, she'd lick you to death! So for me, it's a gsd and always has been.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2012, 02:04 PM
I know GSD and American Bulldogs are used for guarding.
My dog loves people but I'm sure if we were in a threatening situation and she sensed my nervous energy she would protect me but I wouldn't want her too for her own safety.
Saying that last night I was home alone and heard a noise, the dog jumped up and I followed after her i opened every door for her to go and check each room while I waited at the door. She looked in every corner and even over the bath before she decided it was safe and went back to her bone. I love her!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 02:47 PM
I am not sure whether my dogs would protect me if I came under attack - I would hope so, but they are not protection trained so have never been tested.

They are territorial though and do a good job of guarding the property when they are in the garden and an occasional person calls or walks by.

Edited to add : I have three GSDs, as well as working border collies.

Looking at the role of the GSD as the premier police, prison and protection dog, would say the GSD is the top breed for the job of guarding, whether that be person or property.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Came across a really good Farm collie. She followed us all the way along the foot path on her side of the boundary threatening us with death if we strayed over.

Was a bit noisy as I ended up with our dog giving her the "You stay away from us" back.

"Stay off my Land"
"Stay away from me"
"Stay off my land"
"Stay away"

All the way along the footpath.

Effective though. They'd obviously trained it.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-11-2012, 03:47 PM
I think there are two types of guarding breeds - those with natural guarding instincts such as flock guardians, some bull breeds and molloser dogs etc, and those which can (and often are) trained for the purpose, such as German Shepherds, Malinois, Black Russian Terriers etc And some a bit of both, like some herding breeds.

Then you have some dogs (from a variety of breeds) who can be territorial - depending on which genes they get
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 04:56 PM
at work its all gsd's and a few malinois and the odd rottie and they are obviously proven to be good at that job.

I do have a friend that has yard dogs. i sometimes feel sorry for them but its better than the lack of life they would have had. They are the hopeless cases from rottie rescue due to their behaviour problems. A couple of them really scare me. But they live happy together all 6 and seam quite happy with the staff working there during the day and then they have the run of the entire yard of a night. Have to say the entire industrial estate has been a safer place since they moved in. they are never chained or anything like that but they are also never walked.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Rottie boy. View Post
And would your dog protect you. My rottie is the soppiest friendliest dog I've ever had,just wants cuddles and kisses,however he is protective of my 2 little girls,and to a lesser degree me and my wife.however if a burglar got in I think he would be pleased to see them lol.so what breed are the most natural gaurders?
I think the most natural guarders are some of the most primitive guarding breeds, and thankfully have not yet become the in breeds to own.

As for those breeds we are familiar with, I think any dog of any breed or mix could be protective if called for.

My old boy did , he lunged and bit the arm of a man who tried to throttle me through an open window of my car.

At other times he was the softest, most gentlest of gents...
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I have two Greyhounds and they would love someone to break in, they'd be there trying to get fusses and cuddles!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >