Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
But I had Kiera speyed at 6 months and she is a wonderfully adjusted 2 yr old and she is the rule to this not the exeption.
would she not have been wonderful if she had been spayed later? Personally I have nothing against people neutering their dogs, but I would worry about neutering puppies.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I think Labman's American?

But also Ramble, would you not be running the risk of the dog learning the behaviour if left until later on in life just to see if they grow out of it?
Yes...if you don't also train it at the same time as leaving the dog to mature. It is also possible to train a behaviour out of a dog You can't stick their testicles back on when you realise that neutering has had a detrimental effect on their character.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:26 PM
So are you saying you can train an entire male to stay away from a bitch in season.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I have had entire males for years KCJack. I have walked them past bitches in season and they have shown NO interest at all. Cosmo has been flirted with outrageously and he ran away....
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:29 PM
So are you saying you can train an entire male to stay away from a bitch in season.
your original post was about entire 'teenage' males being over exuberrant and lacking manners. That's a training issue. Your post was more about behaviour than unwanted matings wasn't it? I may not be able to rely on others to keep their dogs away from my bitch, but she's MY bitch that I have chosen to keep entire - so MY responsibility. She will certainly not be mated (yet).
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:30 PM
My 19 mnth old male has never shown any interest in an in season bitch and if he did I would walk in the other direction. No biggy
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Yes some studies question how much less cancer neutered dogs have. Those intact dogs that jump a fence and get killed in traffic heading for a female in season upwind never get cancer.

So castrated dogs never chase bitches in season ???? Better tell the owner of the golf course near me his two castrated dogs are always getting out of their kennels & roaming & chasing bitches ! They have never jumped into my garden though, wonder if that's because I have a 6 foot concrete slab wall all the way round it ?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:41 PM
But they have testicles to reproduce and most of us dont want our dogs to reproduce.
Then act responsibly, dont risk your dog unessesarilly under anesthetic "in case" you stuff up!

Sorry to put it bluntly.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Of course I've had trained stud dogs that ignored in season bitches that have been at the mating stage of their season, if you can't train your dog to do that then you shouldn't have a dog at all
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Then act responsibly, dont risk your dog unessesarilly under anesthetic "in case" you stuff up!

Sorry to put it bluntly.
Good job some people have sense to neuter imagine what would happen if everyone had this attitude.
Page 8 of 40 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »