Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
London is a very big place and I've lived in quite a few bits of it over the years.
You can find reports saying all sorts of things but the problem is one person may be calling for them to be culled claiming them to be a nuisance while their next door neighbour is enticing them in with food because they love having wildlife on their doorstep and half a dozen others quite like having them and don't feel bothered in the least. Most surveys of Londoners found that the vast majority like having them around but certainly don't feed them or encourage them.
Any survey undertaken now would probably have an element of hysteria about it due to the latest incident, but over reacting is not the answer to urban foxes any more than it is to dangerous dogs.
Oh Amen to that! I can't bare media, or even publically driven hysteria. Going out and culling foxes because a single animal has attacked humans is ridiculous, far better to do as Labradork suggests. Remove the food source and the foxes should sort themselves out.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:25 PM
well methinks you must have misinterpreted what I wrote because I have no feelings of aggression whatsoever
If a cull wont eradicate the problem then why do it? it will certainly eradicate the lives of an awful lot of innocent foxes.
Believe it or not people do actually have the capacity to learn and educating those who wrongly believe they are helping the foxes is the way to go, either that or cull them as they are the ones causing the problem.
You cull excessive numbers, too much of anything is NOT a good idea.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:29 PM
London has a very hit and miss wheelie bin system it varies hugely between boroughs some have 4 or more bins some still use bags, some have weekly collections some have fortnightly. Even in those boroughs with a multitude of bins it's not unusual to see them overflowing all over the pavements. People really do need to start taking more responsibility for their rubbish.
Definitely agree with you there. Nationwide WEEKLY collections (like it used to be!) would really help. As would councils providing the correct number of bins for the number of people in the household. I think some are unaware that they may be entitled to more than one bin (large families, etc.) and that obviously leads to rubbish being left out on the street.

As always, people are to be blamed for this problem, not the animals.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You cull excessive numbers, too much of anything is NOT a good idea.
Does that include people ? We are after all an overcrowded island, should we start pushing a few into the sea
Who says we have too many foxes in London when the vast majority of londoners and foxes seem to have adapted to living in close proximity to each other rather well.
I can think of many excesses in London but I really don't think bumping them off is the answer well not in most cases anyway.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Does that include people ? We are after all an overcrowded island, should we start pushing a few into the sea
Who says we have too many foxes in London when the vast majority of londoners and foxes seem to have adapted to living in close proximity to each other rather well.
I can think of many excesses in London but I really don't think bumping them off is the answer well not in most cases anyway.
Yes please...I can think of plenty I would volunteer.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:42 PM
app the fox was after the nappies!! lots of people in london have nappies strewn over their lawns due to foxes getting them out of the bins ,they must be hungry!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Yes it does, thats why immigration is a top priority!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Innocent, in the fact that the fox caught and destroyed may not have ever gone near humans let alone attacked, what they going to do just catch and destroy as many as they can?

I dont agree with them being caught and out in to a sanctuary either, their wild animals and should be treated as such.

Humanely done or not, its an animal with the right to live. (Thats how i see it anyway)..
Agree - and I dont believe the story either. Since when has an animal been innocent or guilt - its an animal and has no sense of guilt.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`ll believe it when saliva from the wounds has been analysed and found to be from a fox. I assume this will happen.
It seems many wouldnt give a hoot whether its done or not - its just a 'kill em all' fest now. Totally agree with you C&D

Originally Posted by rune View Post
BTW---foxes have territories and follow runs so it is a very good chance that the fox they caught was the right one.

rune
And the next one and the next one?

Because its a Fox, they are indiscriminate killers, why do you think they attack 50 chickens at one time, when they could just take one?

As I said, its a Fox, a wild animal behaving unnaturally, they can kill livestock and foul in a second.

The only thing that doesnt add up, is why they arent being culled!
Shows what you know about foxes dont it - they are not indiscriminate killers - they attack so many chickens etc because they cash their food, same as wild cats dear. Please get your fact straight befor your love of fox hunting (slaughtering) support shows through.

I do often wonder if those who want this mass cull (hunting) would love this country to be like those american ranches where all wild life is kept in big enclosure to be shot, hunted by the people who can afford it and the animals have no chance.

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Im wityh these girls, "something" dosent ring true, We were disccussing it at Club last night & not one of use believed that it was as it has been reported.
Im with you on that one

No, its not "nature" nor is it "natural" for a Fox to be A, out in broad daylight, B, for it to attack an adult healthy Cat, and C, for it to be in an urban well populated area.

They need culling in huge numbers.
Arh kill em all why not?

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Oh dear, the anti fox people are loving this.

I think a bit of perspective is needed. Dogs hospitalize 10's of thousands of people each year, dogs kill people each year, plenty of dogs attack and kill livestock each year, plenty of dogs attack cats each year...do dogs also deserve a "mass cull"?

A single fox attacks a child so therefore they must all be culled - yeah, right.
The voice of reason me thinks!

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Crazy eh? posting pictures of a fox trying to get a cat...wow, because that never happens in the real world?!

Hold on to your babies folks, because we now know there are evil baby biting foxes on the loose!
Hmm and how many fox hunts have killed cats dogs etc etc - I presume the anti fox people on here want to cull them all as well?

Good post

Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Agree with this 100%

Im not saying there should be an immediate cull, but in around november when there are no nursing vixens, there should be culling of urban foxes in areas that are known to be highly populated by them.

It is not just down to this one attack, what this attack has done is brought the problem that is urban foxes, into the spotlight. They are a problem, and this attack just shows how much more braver they are getting.
The simple and obvious solution is culling.
Why not cull when nursing vixen are around - if they are that much of a threat to the world? Why cull why not wipe them out - surely even a cull would still allow for some breeding to go on?

Well London is a big place, and listening to local reports they are sick to death of Foxes and very rightly so. Several locals spoke of Foxes getting into their houses, heck the pro Fox guy said they are sneaking in more and more, but only usually defaecate or steal food!!
so foxes defeacating and eating food are evil - would you find it acceptable if they used the toilet or made themselve as sandwhich - come on whatever they did you would want them all wiped out anyway.

Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Firstly my heart goes out to this poor family and hope for a speedy recovery for both little girls.

I think that the fallout from this incident is no different from the reactions we always see when young children are hurt. It seems to make the GP feel better and in control when they can demand the death of the offending creatures on mass and of course the media enjoy whipping everyone up into a frenzy of blood lust.

In my mind, foxes are adapting/have adapted to the environment that man has created and when they dont react in a way that we humans deem appropriate then they must be killed.
I live in the country and remember coming home to my first floor flat and finding a badger sitting at my front door. If my door had been open I have no doubt the badger would have entered and if I had cornered it, it probably would have attacked. If that had happened, would badgers be on the hit list for culling?
We need to keep perspective IMO and take responsibilty for the changes we bring to the environment.

Great post!

well methinks you must have misinterpreted what I wrote because I have no feelings of aggression whatsoever
If a cull wont eradicate the problem then why do it? it will certainly eradicate the lives of an awful lot of innocent foxes.
Believe it or not people do actually have the capacity to learn and educating those who wrongly believe they are helping the foxes is the way to go, either that or cull them as they are the ones causing the problem.
Stop it you're making far too much sense for the 'kill em and kill em now brigade'.

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Oh Amen to that! I can't bare media, or even publically driven hysteria. Going out and culling foxes because a single animal has attacked humans is ridiculous, far better to do as Labradork suggests. Remove the food source and the foxes should sort themselves out.
Well said!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
app the fox was after the nappies!! lots of people in london have nappies strewn over their lawns due to foxes getting them out of the bins ,they must be hungry!!
I read that too but babies wear nappies on their butts not their faces or arms so I find that a bit confusing tbh.
Yeah you're right you find nappies all over the show in London maybe parents should be more careful where they dispose of them cos I for one am sick of finding them where ever parents have been picnicing etc. Tesco's carpark is another favourite, they change baby in the car and leave nappy on the floor rather than walk or drive to a bin, lovely.
Foxes do raid rubbish but humans put the rubbish out for them to raid so need to be more responsible in how they deal with their rubbish.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Shows what you know about foxes dont it - they are not indiscriminate killers - they attack so many chickens etc because they cash their food, same as wild cats dear. Please get your fact straight befor your love of fox hunting (slaughtering) support shows through.

I do often wonder if those who want this mass cull (hunting) would love this country to be like those american ranches where all wild life is kept in big enclosure to be shot, hunted by the people who can afford it and the animals have no chance.
What about babies? Attack two, save one for later?

My love for Fox Hunting has been evident for over 20yrs my dear, that will NEVER ever change, not in a million, and smart comments by you wont change it either!
Page 17 of 20 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 >