Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Is it possible to ring a nearly 4 month old english

It is possible to ring a full breed rabbit as wasnt done by breeder,i have her permission as she has all parents,grandparents details, she didnt do it as didnt feel she matched breed standard 100% something to do with one spot being too high on her side and she felt it would be a disadvantage in showing environment but everything else perfect, but shes gonna be present at the show when i get a 2nd opinion and has even recommended someone to ask,i am happy to show as a pet but would love to do breed if i can, a friend said they managed to ring a 5mnth old english was this a one off.I know i have to join brc but everything else is down to whether ring fits and opinion of 2nd breeder.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I put a ring back on a 4 month old French lop - took half a tub of Anchor spreadable and made a mess but it worked
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 07:36 PM
It may be possible but the smaller the breed the harder it is.

I would recommend trying Fairy Liquid (or similar) on the lower leg joint, which will penetrate the thick fur on the underside of the hock and smooth it as much as possible. It will be fairly easy to wash this out afterwards as well.

There is another method told to me by an old fancier many years ago but I'm dubious of welfare implications. Cutting off all the thick hair under the back foot, down to the skin, is rather drastic but it has been known to work. However you would have to keep the rabbit on very soft bedding until after the next moult when the hair has grown back, and of course you wouldn't be able to show it til then either.

It's usually the bones in the hock joint that prevent a ring from going on late, but you should get an idea if it will go on or not with the Fairy Liquid method. English are quite fine-boned and with the finer-boned breeds it's often a case of stopping rings coming off! They are also a fairly fast-growing breed so it may already be too late.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2011, 08:54 PM
as a 5mnth old english I know of that was rung late,i ve entered as a pet at medway this sunday so will see how she does,my first time there as man my breeder has recommended getting 2nd opinion from running this show,if his of same opinion as her shes not breed show quality id only enter as a pet and wont bother trying to ring
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:40 PM
So?
What did you find out at the show?
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 10:15 PM
No.

If you want your rabbit 'rung' it should have happened between 2 and 4 weeks old.

You risk causing stress to the rabbit and possibly breaking their leg.

Ringing is over rated. Showing rabbits is not something I encourage or applaud. So many rabbits in cramped cages, stressed (not that any of the owners or visitors are able to recognise the rabbits stress).

Gross.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
No.

If you want your rabbit 'rung' it should have happened between 2 and 4 weeks old.
2-4 weeks? Are you serious? The earliest it can be done is much later even in the smallest breeds. Honestly, in most breeds, putting a ring on a 2-4 wk old would be like expecting a napkin ring to stay on a chipolata. Have you had much experience with rabbits of that age, never mind all the sizes of rings?

Shows are no different from any animal show. I guess you would disagree with dog shows, rat shows, poultry shows as well?
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
2-4 weeks? Are you serious? The earliest it can be done is much later even in the smallest breeds. Honestly, in most breeds, putting a ring on a 2-4 wk old would be like expecting a napkin ring to stay on a chipolata. Have you had much experience with rabbits of that age, never mind all the sizes of rings?

Shows are no different from any animal show. I guess you would disagree with dog shows, rat shows, poultry shows as well?
Not dog shows. I dont know enough about rats to judge whether the rats get stressed at shows.

Considering rabbits are the 3rd most popular pet in Britain, they are the no.1 most abused, mostly through lack of knowledge and people thinking they are 'less of a pet' than a dog or cat.

If you own rabbits, where are they kept?

How big is their space?

Are they alone?

What are they bedded on?

What are they fed?

How do you stimulate them?

I work at a rabbit & guinea pig rescue. I know what the answers are likely to be; especially if you are a breeder or someone that shows rabbits. I am also a member of the RWAF.

I suggest reading about animals you keep. The RSPCA and RAWF have good enough basic guidelines for rabbit welfare.....have a look for rabbit behaviour too and see how many genuinely 'relaxed' rabbits there are at your next show.

And, if you also think a good way to relax a bun is yo place it on its back.....you'll be wrong again. Its proven while in that position the rabbits body is racing with stress hormones. Its the same as 'tonic' in sharks.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I show rabbits and rats - the rats certainly absolutely love the shows.

My rabbits also enjoy being somewhere new - they are not "cramped" on the show bench - and they aren't in there very long, they enjoy all the new smells and noseying at everything going on and meeting new people.

A stressed animal will never do well at shows - owners who care will not show these animals.

Rabbits have their rings put on at about 10 weeks of age (well the breeds that I show do anyway)

I found the tone of your post very offensive.

I am a pet rabbit owner and well able to judge whether my rabbits are stressed - I have a couple who don't enjoy attention from strangers and prefer the quiet life - I choose not to show these.

Why is ringing "over rated"? I am not aware that it is rated at all - apart from being the ID method required if one wishes to show rabbits ...
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
A stressed animal will never do well at shows - owners who care will not show these animals.

Rabbits have their rings put on at about 10 weeks of age (well the breeds that I show do anyway)

I found the tone of your post very offensive.

Why is ringing "over rated"? I am not aware that it is rated at all - apart from being the ID method required if one wishes to show rabbits ...
I agree on all the above points.

I know the smaller breeds (Dutch size and under) are rung earlier, but never as early as 2-4 weeks! the mind boggles.

It is only worth ringing rabbits that are suitable to be shown, so most will leave it as late as possible as in many breeds type, colour and coat aren't evident until after weaning (at 10 weeks). Any destined to be pets are either not rung or have the rings removed prior to being homed.

And I have also never heard of a rabbit's leg breaking during the ringing process, not even in the 1970's when I first started showing. If the rabbit is handled firmly and calmly, as you would for a veterinary examination then there is no reason why the leg cannot be easily extended momentarily for that purpose - it is no different from extending the leg for claw clipping.

I think it is somewhat insulting to assume all those who show rabbits know nothing about their care and well-being. If I said that those who don't show know nothing - that would upset you just as much and be just as untrue.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >