View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I left home when I got married aged 23, bought a 3 bed 1930's semi loved it stayed there for ten years and then moved into the house I am in now, its 20 odd years in this house, I am not one for moving all the time as you can see lol.

Mo
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 07:36 PM
I didnt leave home til I got married at age 23. We bought a colony flat for 53,000 which needed gutting, did all the work ourselves, put a loft conversion on it, and then sold it for 150000 3 years later.!!
We were very lucky, inherited our current house from OH's aunt and its an end of terrace uppervilla which we had to start from scratch on as hadnt been modified since it was built, so needed EVERYTHING done, and then we extended it and are currently doing the garden and garage, so all our money went back into it and we now have a smallish mortgage on it.

Not sure how long we will stay here, I would ideally like a bungalow with a good bit of land, but dont see that happening anytime soon.

Quite happy where we are, nice quiet street, nice neighbours no hassles !!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
The worst thing I ever did was leave it in the hands of a letting agent when I went travelling who let a couple of druggies move in, who promptly bolted just after I got back, owing me 6 months rent and a total refurb. Clearing up other people's used needles is not something I ever wish to repeat!
That must have been awful for you, but just think about an American guy I met once who rented his house out while he was in Saudi Arabia, his experience was similar in terms of unpaid rent / trashing the place but in addition they managed to burn the place to the ground and then had the audacity to sue him for having an 'unsafe' property The case was slung out of court but he still had legal bills to pay
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Moved out at 18 with Myles who was 3 months, council house, hated it, lots of trouble and felt unsafe there e.t.c. Moved back in with my dad after about 2 or 3 years I think, was there about a year and then moved in here, (housing assoc. rented). Will stay here 'til the bf and I can afford to buy, prob quite a while as house prices now are not so good for the first time buyer, he's self employed and I am part self employed part normal (LOL) so that doesn't bode well, and there is noway his mum will let him move out just now anyway, although reading this thread most people seemed to have left home around his age....(almost 19).
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
That must have been awful for you, but just think about an American guy I met once who rented his house out while he was in Saudi Arabia, his experience was similar in terms of unpaid rent / trashing the place but in addition they managed to burn the place to the ground and then had the audacity to sue him for having an 'unsafe' property The case was slung out of court but he still had legal bills to pay
My parents have recently had a similar thing happen to their rental property in Florida...tenant trashed the place entirely (spay paint everywhere, burns in the carpets, all furniture smashed up...whole house wrecked basically ) and did a runner. Not easy to sort of legally when you are on one side of the pond and they are on the other.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Blimey - you've had a lot of "life experience" Youngstevie, you must be very street wise. But do you look back and think OMG how did i do that ? - i did things when i was younger and i think i couldn't do that now but thats what makes us the people we are i suppose and no-one can say we have had boring lives
Those days were the scariest, full of fear, and I got beaten up twice..........another story, but I feel they made me strong, I've never been back home since, although things between my Mother and I are ok now. But I can survive and am a really independant person (thankfully my hubby admires that) people tell me I am very strong personality wise and I know my own mind

I wrote a book about it called ''lost love'' and it was published by the Foster Care Assosiates who I work for, so that all Foster children (age appropriate) can read it. Hopefully if they think of running and living rough it will help them to either Not do it....or survive out on the streets
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
It was awful. I lost a lot of money, then when I sold it I was taken to court by the property management company (long story). I won the case, but lost two sales as a result of them. Finally sold it after nearly a year, were stitched up by our landlady (another long story) when we bought this house, had to pay rent and mortgage for 3 months, then after a year and a half we were both made redundant! We've lost alot of equity on this house due to recession, had to re-mortgage and borrow from family due to above and are now in huge debt.

BUT, it could be worse and I still consider myself lucky to have a pretty roof over my head every day.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
My parents have recently had a similar thing happen to their rental property in Florida...tenant trashed the place entirely (spay paint everywhere, burns in the carpets, all furniture smashed up...whole house wrecked basically ) and did a runner. Not easy to sort of legally when you are on one side of the pond and they are on the other.
No way, that must be awful, I really feel for them ;o(
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:03 PM
I moved out last August at the grand old age of 30! Not for want of trying earlier mind you.

I absolutely love it, although the bills plopping through your front door ain't so much fun. Would never go back to live my parents mind you, they drive me nuts just staying over night - I honestly don't know how I coped with it all those years!

I was lucky with being a key worker and got a brand new house though a government equity scheme ( I own 75% of the house and the government/property developer own the thother 25%), otherwise there was no other way I could've afforded a mortgage!

I'm very happy here now, just on the edge of town so I can still walk the dog in the sticks if I want, close enough to all my friends and family, have lovely neighbours and a nice little garden for the dogs to bounce around in.

Good luck with your first house, it's blummin' stressful moving out but sooooo worth it.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I left home when I was 29, was back home at 31, lol!

Me and my ex bought a house, it was only 9 years old and it was my pride and joy, especially the garden. However, I left him and moved back with my parents.

However, I dont miss the house at all although, in the end it never meant that much to me but I do miss having my independence and my own space. I still have a house, just dont live in it, lol!

I'm coming up 33 now BTW and still live at home!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 07:56 PM
omg everyone has moved out at such a young age. im 26 and still live at home lol. i did move out with a patner for a week then decided he wasnt for me so i moved back in with my dad. im lucky in some ways as were more like flat mates than anything else.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >