View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 01:04 PM
All the time. I honestly don't notice the difference with most of the products. The only thing I tend to avoid is the cheaper meats -- the expensive stuff just tastes better.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2009, 01:31 PM
No I don't usually buy own brand goods, I like what I like and that's it really.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I do, but beans, washing powder, bread, cereal, ketchup, etc all have to be branded.

I've also started meal planning, and I've saved loads!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2009, 02:14 PM
We buy "own brand" ("OB") stuff when we're going to use it as an ingredient*. If it's for eating on its own, we usually go for the "known brand" because -usually - it's better. The dogs get OB mince and OB kibble, because they don't seem to care - it all gets bolted down regardless!

(*eg kidney beans for chilli con carne)

Snorri
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 03:01 PM
often buy ob and some even basics. only shop at asda but have noticed that even the basic shopping has nearly doubled in the last 5 yrs.

sue
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I get basic stuff quite a bit. I try the cheapest and see if it's ok, then if it isn't go one step up if you see what I mean. I still haven'ts found any baked beans as good as Heinz though lol

I find the Sainsbury's basics range is very good.

I get stuff like pasta, olive oil, kidney beans, canellini beans and tinned tomatoes from Netto.

Rice, lentils and spices I get from our local Indian grocery shop - very very cheap!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I dont buy value but I do buy own brand on some things. But what I have noticed is when the car was being fixed (took about two weeks), we ordered our shopping from Tesco online, boy did we save money. No putting things in that we didn't need etc and I googled vouchers codes and got a few pounds off both times xxxx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I dont buy value but I do buy own brand on some things. But what I have noticed is when the car was being fixed (took about two weeks), we ordered our shopping from Tesco online, boy did we save money. No putting things in that we didn't need etc and I googled vouchers codes and got a few pounds off both times xxxx
Have to agree with what you said about shopping on line too, no temptations to put additional bits in the trolly.

I noticed dishwasher tablets last week £1.70 I think,compared to the branded Fairy & Finish which were a ridiculous price.

I am definately converted after years of saying no "brands" are better, so on most products are we just paying extra for all the fancy packaging ?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post

I am definately converted after years of saying no "brands" are better, so on most products are we just paying extra for all the fancy packaging ?
Yes, I grew up in a household where my mother had to buy 'brands', (she is still like this) but I have ventured away on some things and I have found the items to be just as good. Don't get me wrong, I still have my favs like Heinz BBs but on some things it makes no difference other than price. It does take some trial and error though xxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Like most of the rest of you, we buy a lot of own brand stuff but also have a handful of things we won't compromise on.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >