Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble
Just to add as I missed part of Scarters post earlier.
The breeders I know of that stay away from the ABS actually do over and above the necessary health checks for the ABS
I would go to someone on the breed litter register rather than to someone on the KC site as I know for my breed that I trust the litter registry people to vet both potential puppy purchasers and the breeders.
By breed litter register do you mean that you'd go to the breed club to find a breeder that produced healthy puppies?

I think if you own a dog from a particular breed and get to know all the gossip and breeders within that breed then you are in a position to know who you can trust and who you can't. I *think* I know enough to know where to get a healthy, well bred Beagle.

But if you don't have that inside info who do you trust? People (until recently at least) trusted the KC. If a dog was KC registered it meant that the dog had been well bred. If that is not in fact the case (and it seems that it isn't) then it is EXTREMELY important that every perspective puppy owner knows. If this accredited breeder scheme is a scam then it's good if reputable breeders boycott it.

But why don't they boycott the KC too if they are pulling the wool over peoples eyes? What benefit does KC registration give you? If they refuse to take proper steps to enforce good breeding practices then why don't the 'good' breeders walk and go elsewhere? If breeders want sound, healthy, happy pups then they are in step with what pet owners want. Who needs the KC if they aren't on the same page?

My impression (and it's impressions that often count - not facts) is that KC registration is important to breeders so they have entry to shows like Crufts. Continuation with shows like Crufts while things are still very wrong with the KC can be seen as condoning the poor breeding practices that result in a lot of suffering (for dogs and their poor owners).

These breeders that you talk of didn't really give up much by making a stand over the accredited breeders scheme. If it's just a sham the KC probably don't give a damn. Why not make a stand over KC membership.....or crufts entry?

My 6 month old is KC registered. If I'm honest I think if I'd invested years in an activity I probably wouldn't be prepared to pull out and make a stand so that other dogs and their owners could be saved from pain and misery. But I think this is the issue many people have with Crufts. I'd probably convince myself that there are better ways to take action.

The thought of having a dog with serious health problems terrifies me. It would be heartbreaking. It's bad enough that these things randomly happen by chance, but the thought that people are knowingly producing unhealthy pups and palming them off onto loving families is horrific. Any governing body that turns a blind eye needs to be challenged.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
By breed litter register do you mean that you'd go to the breed club to find a breeder that produced healthy puppies?

I think if you own a dog from a particular breed and get to know all the gossip and breeders within that breed then you are in a position to know who you can trust and who you can't. I *think* I know enough to know where to get a healthy, well bred Beagle.

But if you don't have that inside info who do you trust? People (until recently at least) trusted the KC. If a dog was KC registered it meant that the dog had been well bred. If that is not in fact the case (and it seems that it isn't) then it is EXTREMELY important that every perspective puppy owner knows. If this accredited breeder scheme is a scam then it's good if reputable breeders boycott it.

But why don't they boycott the KC too if they are pulling the wool over peoples eyes? What benefit does KC registration give you? If they refuse to take proper steps to enforce good breeding practices then why don't the 'good' breeders walk and go elsewhere? If breeders want sound, healthy, happy pups then they are in step with what pet owners want. Who needs the KC if they aren't on the same page?

My impression (and it's impressions that often count - not facts) is that KC registration is important to breeders so they have entry to shows like Crufts. Continuation with shows like Crufts while things are still very wrong with the KC can be seen as condoning the poor breeding practices that result in a lot of suffering (for dogs and their poor owners).

These breeders that you talk of didn't really give up much by making a stand over the accredited breeders scheme. If it's just a sham the KC probably don't give a damn. Why not make a stand over KC membership.....or crufts entry?

My 6 month old is KC registered. If I'm honest I think if I'd invested years in an activity I probably wouldn't be prepared to pull out and make a stand so that other dogs and their owners could be saved from pain and misery. But I think this is the issue many people have with Crufts. I'd probably convince myself that there are better ways to take action.

The thought of having a dog with serious health problems terrifies me. It would be heartbreaking. It's bad enough that these things randomly happen by chance, but the thought that people are knowingly producing unhealthy pups and palming them off onto loving families is horrific. Any governing body that turns a blind eye needs to be challenged.
You make some excellent points in your post. I agree with most of it.

Thing is, the dog world does need a central registry, something that set standards. There is NO doubt that the KC needs to get it's house in order and i actually think it will in the end...but for now, people boycotting the ABS is fair enough I think.

Anyone that does even the slightest bit of research into finding a pup in my breed is immediately directed to the litter registry peeps.
dardar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2009, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Ok my view is I dont agree with crufts as I believe if they wanted to change then they could make things right.
They could look at the puppy farms who they offer KC registration to and stop it in a heartbeat but they wont as they bring into much money.
I love to see the dogs at Crufts and think if they made a few changes then most anti-people could be changed.
But I hate the way some breeds have changed like the bulldog and the health issues in the cavaliers and thats why I have to say am anti crufts.
I feel they have money at the heart of their decisions not the welfare of the dogs.
here here, first of all "crufts do'es set the standard" people that dont know one end of a dog from the other know about crufts end of story, and secondly the "show people" are so ignorant its unbelivable, just go to utube and type in "pedegree dogs" its in 6 parts of 10 mins. almost every kc breed has changed since the original standards were set. it makes me sick the way dogs are been exaggerated and changed. i would say you would'nt be able to get 6 different breeds of show dogs to do the jobs they were origanlly bred for.
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2009, 07:19 AM
I know it is the breed clubs that set the breed standards, but if it is nothing to do with the KC how are they now revising them for less exaggerated looks and healthier dogs.

It is not that I disagree with dog shows, I disagree with dogs being placed with such exaggerated looks that it affects the health of the dog. It is time that judges placed less exaggerated/more healthy dogs, and then it would send out the message that the KC actually does care.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 07:28 AM
dardar, Crufts does not set the standard, its just another champ show to most of us that show, the same breed standard applies whatever the show, even open shows.

If we want to show our dogs they have to be KC Registered, (apart from companion shows), there is no choice.

If all of the anti show people were to actually look at what is happening with the KC at this moment in time they would see that all breeds registered with the KC have been scrutinised and where felt necessary thier standards have already been changed, the judges must judge to these standards, breeds will not change overnight, but change will happen.

On the health issue, all breed health councils have had lists of any health issues which concern their breeds, these have to be accepted. Such is the speed that this has been done there are flaws imo, for example in my breed they have quoted asthma as being a problem, with one case being the example, on further investigation by the breed council this turned out to be one case of a crossbred basenji, which frankly is overreaction by the KC.

Anyone who protests about these issues are protesting for nothing as changes are already being made.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
Ok, but why not avoid KC registration if their lack of action over bad breeding practices bothers them? Why just pick on the section that *supposedly* aims to improve breeding practices? Do you think the accredited breeder scheme is just a sham - a publicity stunt - to make people think that the KC give a damn about poor breeding practices in certain breeds and by certain breeders? (This is an accusation that many people are making and I think this is why many people are objecting to crufts - they feel that the KC aren't doing enough to stop the suffering).
Did you avoid KC registration with your Beagles Scarter? If so why, and if not why not? You seem very anti KC and everyting they stand for.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
dardar, Crufts does not set the standard, its just another champ show to most of us that show, the same breed standard applies whatever the show, even open shows..
As an example of this, all our adult dogs have their KC stud book number and are therefore qualified for Crufts for life. Having said that, we haven't shown at Crufts since 2001, because we haven't liked the judges that have been appointed for our breed. It's no big deal for us as Crufts is, as moetmum says, "just another champ show" and a particularly crowded and claustrophobic one to boot. We much prefer the outdoor summer champ shows - much more pleasant for both dogs and exhibitors.

Mick
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by dardar View Post
here here, first of all "crufts do'es set the standard"
no they dont.

people that dont know one end of a dog from the other know about crufts end of story,
If they know , what you know, they they are also wrong!

and secondly the "show people" are so ignorant its unbelivable, just go to utube and type in "pedegree dogs" its in 6 parts of 10 mins. almost every kc breed has changed since the original standards were set. it makes me sick the way dogs are been exaggerated and changed. i would say you would'nt be able to get 6 different breeds of show dogs to do the jobs they were origanlly bred for.

You dont know much about dogs do you...

Only 6?? mmmmmmm I can think of far more than that... breeds who CAN still do perfectly well the job they where bred for,

And those who no longer "cant do the job they where bred for"...might have something to do with the job no longer being there.

you dont see many bulls needing to be baited, nor carriages needing a Dalmatian or two to run along side it, do you.
dardar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
no they dont.

If they know , what you know, they they are also wrong!

You dont know much about dogs do you...

Only 6?? mmmmmmm I can think of far more than that... breeds who CAN still do perfectly well the job they where bred for,

And those who no longer "cant do the job they where bred for"...might have something to do with the job no longer being there.

you dont see many bulls needing to be baited, nor carriages needing a Dalmatian or two to run along side it, do you.
typical! thats an answer i was expecting, did you bother to look at utube (pedegree dogs) probably not. im not here to argue, im just trying to guide you towards the facts, look back at pictures 50 to 80 years ago, for eg. basset hound,neapolitan mastiff,bulldog,staffordshire bullterrier, pug,german shepard, do ye want me to go on? and tell me they look the same. thats just looks, what about health? im not here to bash anyone, im a dog lover myself, im just annoyed that people are so ignorant and wont admit to the problems that are their.
dardar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
how are you mick, i may have come across the wrong way, i should have said crufts is the most famous dog show in the world,especialy for non dog people, i think thats what the other lady was trying to say as well.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »