Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2005, 03:39 PM

Two starters/possible light lunches

OK

#1 - we've eaten twice in Sweden. Really lovely, really easy.
Ingredients. Beetroot, goats cheese.

Boil beetrooot until cooked. If tiny leave whole, if bigger, slice thickly. Put in the bottom of a nice ceramic etc cooking/serving dish. Put goats cheese on top - sliced, crumbled, whatever. Put a splash of olive oil and shake of black pepper over. Bake in a hot oven till the cheese looks softer/starts to go golden etc.
To serve - either a little bit of nice 'greenery' on top, or (if you want to look really flash) put a few thin diagonal lines of clear honey on the plate, plus a sprinkle of crushed walnuts/pecans.

#2 - I made up this year, following a glut of jalapeno peppers in my polytunnel
Ingredients. Jalapeno, feta cheese

Cut ends off jalapeno, split one side, remove seeds. Fill cavity with feta cheese. Put in a ceramic dish, adda splash of olive oil and a sprinkle of black pepper. Bake until golden. Serve.

Fab. Fiery at the first mouthful, but that's all.

Bon appetit!
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Sounds lovely Dinahsmum Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2005, 05:50 PM
I'll try the first one as I can get the ingredients here but the second... can I improvise with ordinary red pepper?

Not easy to get some things over here.... including MARMITE I had a UK visitor in Feb and she brought me a jar, now it's run out so that's it until I come back to the UK for a visit.....

Gill
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Red peppers are good with feta. I usually put some chopped tomatoes and sliced garlic too - if you like a little chopped anchovy fillet gives it a richer and saltier taste.

The beetroot dish is super, and very easy. The earthiness of the beet 'cuts through' the richness of the goats cheese.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Really does sound divine DM - think I definitely have to try the feta dish on OH - he's definitely partial to Feta - great recipes.

Thank you!!