Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Is this the end of his kidneys?

As you know, Eddy has Kidney Disease...

He had gone off his food big time but I've managed to get him eating again and he's been ploughing through Senior/Lite Nature Diet mixed with K/D prescription diet.

However, recently he's been eating and then peeing straight after. Sometimes he refuses to go for a wee for quite a while, but then other times, he eats and before I've even heard him stop eating, he's peeing on the floor. No asking to go out, no time delay between eating and weeing - just imminently after.

Is this a sign that his kidneys are packing up? He's not vomiting at all which is what I was told would be the sign to say they're finally going.

Thanks
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 05:42 PM
I don't know the answer hon but just wanted to say that I hope its not....Eddy is a babe xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks Lorna,

He is gorgeous bless him - he's been really on and off lately. At the moment he's on top of the world, barking for me to wait on him hand and foot and loving his walks but he's lost a lot of weight (now 19.3kg) and up until recently wasn't eating at all.

But... at 15 he's done so damn well! The vets didn't think he'd still be here now when they diagnosed him in October so I think he's done very well!

I'm not dwelling on the fact he's going soon etc. I just don't want to miss any signs and allow him the chance to suffer.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I agree with you there, Tara had liver failure in the end, she wasn't in pain, but "out of it" on the day we put her to sleep and her back legs went completely. 15 is a blooy good age for a dog you thought you'd have for a year lol!

He's a star, always had a soft spot for Eddy (and T dog of course!) xx
rottietao
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2010, 06:10 PM
so so sorry to read the situation you are in,

i cant answer any questions re' edd'ys condition ----
just to say my thoughts are with you
very sad anxious time for you! take care.....
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Aww I hope not

We had to make the dreaded decision with our last Basenji who went in to kidney failure at the age of 16 1/2 so no the feeling well
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks all,

It's been suggested that he may have a urine infection and it makes sense now actually because he has had REALLY stinky wee!

I'll get a sample off to the vets on Monday morning and hope it's just that

He's fine in himself so fingers crossed he'll be ok for a while
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks all,

It's been suggested that he may have a urine infection and it makes sense now actually because he has had REALLY stinky wee!

I'll get a sample off to the vets on Monday morning and hope it's just that

He's fine in himself so fingers crossed he'll be ok for a while
Fingers crossed and let us know
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Everything crossed here for him.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I've been through kidney failure with my Moon who was only 4 when we let him go It's an awful condition and you have my full sympathies. 15 is a cracking age though Moon went uremic when his kidneys completley packed in which was clear by the inability to keep food down, bringing up putrid yellow bile, total lack of appetite and diarrhea. if you get those sort of symptons then you know it's definatley end stage. He was also in clear discomfort with a highly acidic stomach, you could hear it burbling and all he wanted to do was lie down. If Eddy's still perky and normal in other ways then hopefully it doesn't mean his kidneys are any worse. When did you last have his blood parameters checked? Hopefully the excess urination is down to an infection. All fingers crossed here that it is and can be easily sorted
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >