Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Springador
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Teaching Left and Right

What is the best way to teach left and right when doing agility, also when teaching to make the contacts what command do people use.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Not proper agility advice. I have never done agility, someone with more experience will be along shortly to tell you all the right stuff...

I am trying to teach Kismet the basics at the moment in the hope of popping along to Patches agility classes (to watch as she's still too little to join in). I decided to use the mushing commands as I thought they might be instinctually in there somewhere, so I am trying to teach her

Gee - Go Right
Haw - Go left
Easy - slow down
Whoa - stop.
Go by - ignore that one and keep going
Hike - yes good, go faster!

It'll make us an interesting team if nothing else
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 04:54 PM
When I was teaching redirect, I used hand signals as well. I`m pretty sure the dog took his cue from the signal rather than the word.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Yup I totaly think dogs get body language much better than words

Teaching left and right I have been getting him to circle once infront of me clockwise is right anti left
But really what has worked best for me is a 'this way' which just means look at where I am going - its not the same as you
Easy to teach, out walking if he went down one path I went down the other, said 'this way' and kept walking, now when I say it he automaticly checks out where I am going

as for contacts it really depends which way you are going to teach it but the dog learns the position so the word dosent matter
we do a down at the bottom of the obstical, just telling the dog 'down' from the top of the down ramp is enough they understand the position wanted, also they know the difference that 'down' on the sea saw means down on the end of the sea saw

Are you in a class? its prob easier to do what they are teaching you, I had grand ideas about running contacts but I am glad I ditched them now I realise that that pause is so useful to give yourself a chance to think
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 05:30 PM
I use the left and right commands even when we are out on walks. Turning a corner at the end of the road, I would say "left" and then take the turn. I didnt specifically teach it, just used it all the time so my dogs would pick up what I meant. Even now when we are out on an off lead walk and they are ahead and come to a choice of paths, they look at me and I will either hand signal (for my gundog's benefit), or say the direction (for my collies benefit) and they understand.

The way we were taught contacts was to teach the "touch" command with a tin can cover for example. The cover would be placed at the end of the contact on the floor and as the dog came down, we say "touch" so the dog is looking for the object. They have to slow down and stop on the contact to touch the cover with their nose.

I personally dont actually use a command for the contacts as my dog is so bloody slow he doesnt need one! I'm always at the contact before he is so I may say "steady" and continue with a hand movement right to the base of the equipment.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I use 'close' for turn right and 'back' for turn left, I taught Bertie by just telling him the direction as he turned, it took him along time to learn on just voice command, but it never really mattered too much with him as he was always slow and I was usually with him. Both the girls I taught by them spinning a circle, make sure they can do it in any position though, both directions in front of you and on either side of you.
For contacts I use 'steady' it's the only time I use this command, it doesn't mean slow down to my girls it means stop on the contact in a 2 on, 2 off position. You can use any command you like that comes easily to you as long as you are always consistent. Other contact commands I know people use are 'stop', 'touch', 'get it' and 'flat'.