http://life.familyeducation.com/dogs...ing/47296.html

In action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx2CJf6dtgo

Adam
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Isn't it being used when, for example, you get a dog to some sits, downs or heel etc (less preferred activity), prior to being released to chase a ball (more preferred activities)? I frequently use this means of motivation.

As I understand it it is just about using an activity as a reward/motivator, rather than using a treat.

I think it is probably frequently used, but the specific term for using differingly favoured activities as both the target behaviour and the motivator may be less familiar to some people than the technique is.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Noticed you posted the same to other forums where you're not popular Adam, and got zero response.

Not sure what your purpose is here.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Noticed you posted the same to other forums where you're not popular Adam, and got zero response.

Not sure what your purpose is here.
Self promotion ? One of the links goes to one of your 'demonstrations' doesn't it Adam .

Why would I think it is self promotion ....
..could be something to do with the the site recently clamping down on the activities of certain people who may now be trying to compensate for this in other ways. Some of us are not easily fooled though.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Where's that ignore button?
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Isn't it being used when, for example, you get a dog to some sits, downs or heel etc (less preferred activity), prior to being released to chase a ball (more preferred activities)? I frequently use this means of motivation.

As I understand it it is just about using an activity as a reward/motivator, rather than using a treat.

I think it is probably frequently used, but the specific term for using differingly favoured activities as both the target behaviour and the motivator may be less familiar to some people than the technique is.
I think a lot of trainers do, but there seems to be plenty who just view reward as food.

Adam
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I think a lot of trainers do, but there seems to be plenty who just view reward as food.

Adam
Hmm......I am not wure where you are getting your info from? I know very few trainers who think this way.
In fact...I cannot think of any trainer I know who does not view a reward as something the dog wants