Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
I think we should all always pick up. Wherever whenever.
I was chatting to an older couple with a border collie the other day and I was complaining about the fair weather walkers leaving pooh everywhere and they agreed but then to my amazement admitted that they thought it was okay to leave it in the woodland area that had allocated paths for families to walk on. But because its woodland it would just "go back in to the ground". Not until me and my kids and Jack had stepped in it it wouldnt!!
unless, of course, you dont leave on the path and kick it in the bushes (or bury it in the bushes with your boot...i got that to an artform ) or your dog has actually not gone on the path but pood in the bushes etc.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 08:56 PM
I bag it and bin it most of the time,however there are times I have to take it home as theres no bins available.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Barney is conditioned to do his in the garden where it is picked up. The odd time he does it on the walks I always pick up (this is usually because another dog has deposited nearby and the owner hasn't cleared up).

I hate dog mess left by other dog owners not picking up.

Faeces are full of potentially nasty organisms and although your dog might be immune to them, other dogs (and humans) may not be - especially the young/old or immune-compromised.

In the countryside this may be a problem for our native wildlife - they may be susceptible to domesticated dog-bourne infections.

See also: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/4381680.stm

In our towns and cities, I don't want to have to be continually watching where Barney is treading or sniffing.

Every dog owner needs to poop and scoop, not just the responsible ones. Imagine if we all stopped, what kind of mess there would be all over the place and dogs wouldn't be welcome anywhere. If dog owners hadn't let their dogs foul the beaches or make a nuisance, I guess all those beach dog bans wouldn't exist today.

Remember, dogs are more likely to catch diseases from other dogs poo
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Wherever, Whenever.. They can't so you should!!

My OH's boss recently got a Labrador (after failing for a year to get Cruiser off me!) and he asked.."does picking up your dogs Poo get any easier.. I hate the warm feeling"..

My answer was.."oh yes.. once you've had your first £500 fine it gets real easy"..
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 06:44 AM
I can honestly say in the two years I have had Shady I have never once cleaned up a poop from her out on a walk.

But before all jump on me that is purely because she flatly refuses to go to the toilet be it wee or poo when out.
Milo of course I clean up after him if he goes unless its deep in brambles or stinging nettles when I would end up getting scratched or stung half to death.
In fact I have been known to rush home after a walk grab a poo bag and drive back to the spot he went if I have gone out then realised I have a different jacket on with no poo bag.
I can find absolutely no excuse for people leaving thier dog poo behind if its reachable, unless of course through disability you really can't pick it up.
The ones that leave it in the middle of a concrete pavement are really the lowest of the low.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I only really pick up after one dog as the other two go up a 30 foot hight woodedbank that i could just not climb.
But the other dog craps wherever he pleases his favorite spot is when I am stood at a pelican crossing the cars stop I go to walk acroos the road and he squats and poos so I have to stand and watch him then clean it up with all the cars stopped looking at me!

I could leave that dog somedays
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 10:35 AM
I wonder exactly how many people know how easy it is for dog poo to blind a child ?????????????????

5 EASY STEPS TO BLIND A CHILD

1. Dog goes to the poo. Poo contains worm organisms, even unhatched or inactive.
2. Child steps in bit of poo.
3. Child takes shoes off at home and inadvertently gets residue of it on a hand. This can be such a small amount, that you probably would not even see it.
4. Child wipes face, mouth or eats etc, transferring organisms to body.
5. Organisms hatch in the warm body and travel to the rear of the Retina, Causing.........

PERMANENT BLINDNESS

People NEVER realise just HOW COMMON this actually is. And even if you NEVER hear of it, does not mean it dont happen, and how do YOU know that it wasnt YOUR dogs poo that caused it, because it was "Out of the way". Have you ever known a child to stick to the track.

CHILDREN EXPLORE.

Happy POO picking folks, hope you can sleep at night
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 12:01 PM
One thing I notice is that even when a poop is scooped there is still residue left on the grass, so unless we go out armed with a spade and dig up the ground it's very difficult to eliminate any harmful effects completely.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Lucky Star - I understand that, but at least you are 'Trying', which is more can be said for the ones who don't poo pick in the woods and say "Well, when they poo in the woods, when theyre off lead, at least it's not on the main track/path, out of the way"

Nothing is out of the way of a child.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 05:04 PM
I know were all going on about dogs in this thread...BUT changing the subject ever so slightly Cats are also responisble for carrying Toxocara. How many owners do you see following their cats around to scoop the poop? I think it's wrong to shove the blame onto people who don't scoop the poo with their dogs when there are just as many cat owners as dog owners whom let their cats out to roam and as we all know cats will do it anywhere and cover it - so I don't know what is more dangerous!

Going back a few years ago (well about 20 years ago) my Gran lived nextdoor to a couple whom were always letting their son play outside which of course is what kids tend to do, but they never seemed to bat an eyelid when he was caught many times by my Gran eating soil where their own Cat had defecated..(Gran wasn't a Cat lover, she thought they were dirty animals, thats another debate) she used to go round many times in one day asking them to either clean up where their cat has messed or keep him in for his own safety. By the time their son was 6 he was diagnosed as blind, basically because of the germs carried from their cats Poo down to him eating infected soil. So while it's okay to have a go at dog owners that don't clean up after their dogs, cat owners can be as much to blame too Dogs and Cats are known to carry that same infection that can cause blindness in children.
Page 8 of 14 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »