register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: How many of us actually religously pick up after our dogs ?
Always pick up 62 65.96%
Only pick up formed pooh 4 4.26%
Leave it in over grown areas 28 29.79%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by mumof5 View Post
i will stick and flick if i am out on a hike or places that are extremely over grown and i know people wont tread in it. as a rule i will try to see it (most of the time my lot will hide in big bushes to do it!!) and if i do i think if my children could get to it other peoples could so i will pick it up or flick it further.

My back garden opens onto a massive playing field with a park for kids and if i see people leaving their dog poop i will take them a poop bag and ask them politely to pick it up. Luckly they are so embarressed they do there is a couple of poop bins round the edge so there is no excuse. It is where all the local kids play so no where on there is acceptable to leave it.
I like that, stick n flick

What bugs me is the bloomin doggie walkers that presume you neva lift it, like the other week Inka decided to have a pooh in front of 2 woman, Toro was in season and they had 6 dogs between them, so in a rush I ran up the fields to make sure the dogs didn't get a sniff, on my way one of the woman shouts do you want a bag for that, I shouted back its ok I'll get it on the way back...and I did and left her a note on her car, dog pooh picked up as promised
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I mostly walk in woods/fields etc. so Bryan sometimes goes off into undergrowth or bushes to poop. Those ones I don't pick up because they won't easily get trod in and it saves on using lots of plastic bags (for environmental reasons). If he does it on or next to a path I'll always pick it up though.

The MOST annoying thing is when people bag it then chuck it in a tree or hedge for it to dangle for months on end. Why not just leave it then at least the rain will wash it away eventually.

We never see dog wardens being out in the sticks lol
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I never see dog wardens being out in the sticks lol
It's mainly PSCO's who give out the warnings and penalty notices here... they are having a big crackdown on dog fouling, shame that doesn't seem to include actually putting bins out for us to put the poo in!!!

Apparantly, local residents complain if red poo bins are put near their houses, as it looks unsightly, so they get removed but not resited!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I just put it in a normal bin if there's no poo bins about. As long as it's tied up securely it's ok.

People don't want poo bins near their houses???!!! I'm sure it really affects property prices etc.

What's a PSCO Isochick? TBH living right on the edge of town we don't see any 'official' type people at all really.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Always pick it up, even in the middle of nowhere. If Poppy has loose poos I just don't take her out in public places. If she's loose, she doesn't really feel like going for a walk anyway.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 07:08 AM
I pick up after Ivan no matter what, even if it's watery i'll make the effort or at least try to cover it. I even pick up after other dogs if it's around Ivan's. The majority of dog owners around me are Yorkie owners and they seem to think that because their dogs are small the don't need to pick up after them It gets my back up so much I could rant and rant!!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I just put it in a normal bin if there's no poo bins about. As long as it's tied up securely it's ok.

People don't want poo bins near their houses???!!! I'm sure it really affects property prices etc.

What's a PSCO Isochick? TBH living right on the edge of town we don't see any 'official' type people at all really.
A PSCO is a 'not-real' police officer - a Police Support Community Officer - as we are rural, and only have a very small police force (read 1 full time officer from another area) they tend to rely on PCSO's to do a lot of the legwork...
http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/pcso/overview.html

Yup, there has been a real furore over dog-poo bins here... personally I'd rather have a bright red bin full of poo outside my house than loads of sh!t smeared all over the pavement!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2009, 10:10 AM
At least with some dogs, you need to keep an eye on what they are up to. Monday I found 2 halves of a heavy wool sock my 9 month old Golden had eaten and passed without any sign of distress.

I try to pick up daily, but often don't manage until time to mow the grass. I am tryoing to wipe out whipworms.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 10:25 AM
For the most part I religiously pick up... however, Kismet has a knack of going in places I frankly will not tread... Under thorn bushes, in the middle of stinging nettles etc. If I can't get to it safely then I'm afraid it has to stay there... There have also been times when I have picked my way through the long grass the where one of them was squatting only to realise I have become completely lost... no sign of their doings... Now in this circumstance I will either pick up the next closest pooh I see figuring I had made the one dog difference. Or just pick up a handful of dirt and grass to show willing!

Our local dog wardens have invested in a telephoto lense so always does to at least show willing....

In the runny runny times.. I will usually get a stick and bury as best I can or sacrifice some of their drinking water to clean it down as best I can.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2009, 03:38 PM
It annoys me when walking in public areas to see loads of poop about! Today I took the dogs to the park 5 mins from our house and Shadow is very runny, thanks a packet of raisins being left on the sofa so I spent 10 - 15 mins picking up what I could and washing the rest with water. As we were leaving the park a woman didnt pick up her dog's solid poo!! I shouted at her to pick up her dog's poop but she was too interested in her mobile phone call - that really annoys me! I constantly step in dog poo in that park and kids are always there and so is a council van - but nothing ever seems to be done!
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >