register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: How many of us actually religously pick up after our dogs ?
Always pick up 62 65.96%
Only pick up formed pooh 4 4.26%
Leave it in over grown areas 28 29.79%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 04:59 PM
it depends where I am.

I've actually spoken to the local forestry commission representative about the subject and their recommendations in their forests are that if it is on the path stick and flick (or pick up if you wish), if it is not don't bother.
They do expect people to pick up and bin in the area by the car park where there are picnic tables etc.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
it depends where I am.

I've actually spoken to the local forestry commission representative about the subject and their recommendations in their forests are that if it is on the path stick and flick (or pick up if you wish), if it is not don't bother.
They do expect people to pick up and bin in the area by the car park where there are picnic tables etc.
Sensible, I believe there was a topic about environmental impact of poo bags a while back.
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Always pick up after my girl-every jacket i have-the pockets all have poo bags in them-I use babies nappy bags so I have nice smelling pockets! What really gets on my wazz is 1) owners whose dog has just done a poo in the middle of the path on the walk and they cover it up with grass/leaves for anyone to walk in. What's the point of that-why not just pick it up or get something like stick to push it off the path and 2) owners when they see their dog having a poo just walk quicker away from the dog pretending they haven't seen. Couple of occassions I have offered a bag but got such a mouthful from them I don't bother anymore-never know what some of these people will do if you rile them enough!!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I'm a picker upper.

I don't like the idea of it being in a plastic bag and landfilled either, so I've been looking into a dog poo composter, so my garden gets the benefit.
re the dog poo composter, we had one of these but didnt find it effective at all, it was pretty small too, so you would go to open it after a week of filling it and stuff wouldnt compost quickly enough - disgusting thing which got dumped in the skip eventually so actually added to landfill more than I would have done with the carrier bags - this was about 4 years ago so not sure if thy have improved since then.

I do both, evewryday walks, will always pick it up, but if we are in open countryside/fields etc and not on any form of path then no I wont go into a field to retrieve it... I am lucky that bruno will never do it on the pavement so its always on the verge anyway and then I will scoop it and deposit it. But I do get irritated when I have to walk miles before finding a bucket to deposit it in. Especially in common dog walking areas.

In the regular field we walk he usually goes in the actual field as oppose to the bridleway so that doesnt get picked up.

I also hate the people who pick up the poop and then hang it off tree branches - whats that about - do they think the giant poop bird will come and deliver it to landfill for them or something ?????
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Can't agree with you there. If you are walking in the middle of nowhere, and no one else is going to step in it/find it offensive etc then surely the poo is better left to biodegrade, than bagged up and dumped in landfill.
Fair point there re land fill.
But I feel that dog poo is completely different to cow & horse poo, herbivores v meat eaters - I know which pile I would prefer to step in! Our family owns land which has a right of way though it. Its a bit frustrating when people don't pick up, we end up doing it & burning it. Is a very sore subject with me especially when its my turn to do the deed.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I always pick up! I also carry water mixed with disinfectant for the really runny poo's - mostly for the other dog's I walk. Pup's only had the skit's twice due to eating curry - hubby fed him it and I had to deal with the remains of it
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 08:23 PM
I always pick up. The only exception would be if we were in woods and he went well into the bushes where no one could step in it (and I couldn't get to it). Even in fields I pick it up; I think it is disgusting not to. I have to say I don't get why some people think that if their dog craps in fields that it is ok to leave it...people can still tread in it, it looks disgusting when it is littered everywhere, takes forever to dicompose and it STINKS. Not pleasant.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Different take on this:

What about people when they go on long walks and hiking?
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I must admit to not always picking up!
I do religiously pick up on the local beaches or in public areas, but if I am doing my local woodland / field walk and the girls are off the path ( I cannot generally find it anyway, even if I do try) I don't pick up.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Like many have said, I walk my dogs in the countryside and in fields that people don't walk through, only the sheep, an shepards on their quadbikes. My dogs generally go around the edge of the field and the shepards are happy enough for us to leave it, my next door shepard said that, all their dogs do it, so why should mine be any different.
If I am in an area where people walk, then I pick it up and put it in the bin.

I had one sticky moment when I was visiting my Dad, I took his dog for a walk and out of habit, didnt take any bags with me, but lucky Scamp went on the way back, when we were almost at the house, so i put him in, grabbed a bag and ran up the road like someone possessed!!

Sarah xx
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >