Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 06:35 PM

Please help....

My puppy is 14 weeks old now, and since we got her i have always been able to feel hre spine (rather deffinately) when I stroke her back. She is by no means underweight...could it be due to her growing?? When I have taken her 4 injections the vet hs never said anything?

Thanks
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 06:47 PM
YES it could be down to her growing my boxer is 15months old and i can still feel her spine though she is not under weight and the muscle on her body is quite visible
If your vet has not said anything there quite possibly is nothing to worry about maybe she is just taking longer to fill out
what sort of puppy is it xx
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 06:51 PM
If your pup seems fine, I would not worry but a good question to ask the vet the next time you are in for a visit.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I think as long as she is fit and well I shouldn't worry too much. I have a 13 week old cocker pup, who is on the slim side, I too can feel her spine, I asked my vet at both appointments for her jabs and he said she was perfect, she was the smallest of the litter (our own litter) and always seemed to be the dinky one. Both times my vet gave her a thorough examination, and said she was in excellent health. At 11 weeks she weighed 4.9kgs, normally my pups are heavier than this before they leave me, so I guess I've just been used to seeing rather chunky pups

They do tend to go through stages, one minute all legs, then long in the body, maybe your little girl is going through one of these stages.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

Originally Posted by annajennison View Post
My puppy is 14 weeks old now, and since we got her i have always been able to feel hre spine (rather deffinately) when I stroke her back. She is by no means underweight...could it be due to her growing?? When I have taken her 4 injections the vet hs never said anything?

Thanks
puppy must be OK, or vet would have said something. don't make the mistake of over feeding her, too much protien could cause vitamin atrophy, causing skin rashes.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Thank you, she is a border collie cross...very leggy now..needs to fill out i think!! Im glad I'm npt the only 1 who has encountered this problem! x
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 10:31 PM
When fudge was a baby you could realy feel his spine and ribs but he has filled out more now. I was really worried that he was underweight and asked the vet about it, they said he would fill out as he got older, which he has!! If you are really worried maybe ask the vet next time to put your mind at rest
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Hi Anna

I had the fattest little puppy in the world (0-8 weeks) - Waddle was her nickname.

By 8 -12 weeks she was looking normal again.

12-14 a wee fatty again

Now 5 months she is a rake. I'm talking ribs, spine, skinny legs but I know from experience it's nothing to worry about.

Like kids they alternate between upward and outward spurts. Breagh is is due an outward one just now and I suspect your puupy is the same.

At the end of the day (providing you know that your feeding is ok) then just go with the flow.

Keep us posted