Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 06:55 AM

Hills ID Perscription Diet

I have always just presumed that the Hills ID perscription diet given by vets for upset tummys and recovery from ops or illnesses, must be a really good diet suitable for all dogs, especially at the price it is.
This morning before feeding Shady hers I happened to look at the ingredients, which the main two are Meat and animal derivetives and cereal, so basically meat wise it could just be bits of beak or claw etc and then cereals which must contain wheat/gluten as there is no mention that it is wheat gluten free and as we know many dogs are wheat/gluten intolerant.
Now if I had just taken this and fed it to my Milo he would have in fact been quite ill as he is allergic to wheat/gluten (as well as many other things).
It just made me feel a little concerned the way vets try to get you to use it without first checking your dog is not intolerant especially as they are probably having it because they are low already and I am surprised a pet food company selling such a delicate food does not put a warning on it.
Just my opinion and hopefully if one of you has a dog with food intolerances that at sometime the vet perscribes this you will be aware it may cause more problems.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Well spotted. Us newer dog owners sometimes don`t have the confidence to question info/treatment from the vet so the more info we have the more able we are to do this. Thanks.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 07:59 AM
I was curious about this and just went on the Hills website. I really didn't realise how many different Hills Prescription diets there were - loads all targeted at different ailments/requirements.

The website does say that prescription diets are only availabale through vets and presumably, as the name suggests, are effectively given on a 'prescription' basis.

I have no idea whether these different prescription diets do work or whether they are just a rip off, but I think Hills intend that they should only be given by to a particular dog where the vet knows the dog's medical history.

A vet should know whether the dog has food intollerances and prescribe or not accordingly (though I agree that its possible that some may not do so).

The big problem is probably that vets don't make it clear enough that it is a prescription food and should only be given to the particular dog under the particular treatment.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 08:15 AM
I have had it quite a few times over the years for different things and have NEVER had a vet ask me if my dog has any food intolerances before giving it to me.
I worked out Milo had food intolerances myself quite quickly and sorted it but only because many years ago I done exams in canine and feline nutrition. Many people, especially new owners don't realise and many vets don't put things down to diet (eg scratching).
Milo had a severe reaction to marrow in a marrow bone once and I rushed him to the emergency vet, He was coughing and gagging for breath and the vet was convinced it was kennel cough. I insisted he had an injection immeadiatly to take down inflamation in the throat and he was as right as rain an hour later.
I also wonder if the diet is that good to warrent costing that amount. For a case of 12 tins it is £17.81 making it just under £1.50 for a small tin (if my maths is right) containing animal derivatives and cereal
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 08:35 AM
I never have those diets from the vets as they are too expensive and are no better than other foods you can make up yourself.

When Alfie had bloat and I was told to keep him on the tinned diet I asked if I could give him Chappie instead and was told yes as its basically the same thing, and its about 1/2 the price.

I also keep the white fish fillets in stock, mine had that all last week when they were poorly and it done the trick. You could probably mix some of that with a bit of chappie and Shady would enjoy that more.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I never have those diets from the vets as they are too expensive and are no better than other foods you can make up yourself.

When Alfie had bloat and I was told to keep him on the tinned diet I asked if I could give him Chappie instead and was told yes as its basically the same thing, and its about 1/2 the price.

I also keep the white fish fillets in stock, mine had that all last week when they were poorly and it done the trick. You could probably mix some of that with a bit of chappie and Shady would enjoy that more.
I quite agree with you there, I accepted the tins as my insurance company will pay for it anyway, but when they run out she will be going onto chappie rice and chicken with a little fish added.
The point is though that the ingredients in this are not that good especially for the cost and definatly not good for dogs with food intolerances. So I feel it should be labelled on the can and vets should check first. Many owners will just give what thier vet reccomends without question and could be doing more harm than good. I must admit with what I know I had assumed it was superior special ingredients, till I read the ingredients this morning and she has been on it a week now.
Shady does not have any food intolerances that I have come across yet, so I was lucky, but I have to be careful Milo doesn't get any of it as it would affect him.
I am going to contact Hills and try and get them to brief vets and put something on the label.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 08:55 AM
It always pays to read the ingredients. I think people in supermarkets must thing me mad as I read everything as there are certain things I have to avoid!
Becky
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I quite agree with you there, I accepted the tins as my insurance company will pay for it anyway, but when they run out she will be going onto chappie rice and chicken with a little fish added.
The point is though that the ingredients in this are not that good especially for the cost and definatly not good for dogs with food intolerances. So I feel it should be labelled on the can and vets should check first. Many owners will just give what thier vet reccomends without question and could be doing more harm than good. I must admit with what I know I had assumed it was superior special ingredients, till I read the ingredients this morning and she has been on it a week now.
Shady does not have any food intolerances that I have come across yet, so I was lucky, but I have to be careful Milo doesn't get any of it as it would affect him.
I am going to contact Hills and try and get them to brief vets and put something on the label.
Yes, you're definately right, what if Milo had accidently eaten some, I'm really suprised that they havent got any kind of warning, perhaps they just assume the vet will advise the owners You must let us know how you get on
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 09:27 AM
I have now emailed them asking if they can put something on thier label and send vets a bulletin to check the animal has no intolerances first and if they do to give them thier other one specifically for this problem.

I will let you know the outcome.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I will say though that it was the Hills ID prescription diet that has so helped my own dog. I hate the idea of having anything from Hills but it was agreed we'd try it after my dog having painful, bloody colitis on other diets such as Naturediet, Nature's menu, Chappie, and various versions of these such as the sensitive versions.

I have never been able to discover what causes my dog's problem, we've considered all sorts, from fat to fish to rice to certain types of protein, and tried to put her on an exclusion diet, however that was very difficult due to not knowing exactly is in dog foods as ingredients or how they are processed.

I don't think they are a rip off if you have a dog like mine who seems to only cope with Hills ID.

I suspect she'd be a good candidate for raw food as she can also eat a raw marrowbone, but that's something else to think about....

Just trying to give the other side of the story ... :smt001

Wys
x