Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hallabusa
New Member!
Male 

13-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Any advice for worsening Pomeranian

Hi all,

We have a Pom that's 13 years old and up until now he's been lucky enough to have 'near-perfect' health. Approx 6-7 weeks ago, he started to cough badly (rasping) and we took him to the local vets. I suspected that it was a kennel cough, even though he has little contact with other dogs. The vet concluded quickly that he is suffering from emphysema and prescribed a course of Prednicare tablets (which he'd have to take for life). He was also injected (I dont know with what unfortunately) and he seemed good, a definate improvement.
Anyway, a few weeks on and his coughing has generally stopped (which is great), however he's constantly drowsy, sleeping on his feet/whilst sitting etc. He's also become incontinent and is not the same dog we've had for the last 13 years. Theres bubbles coming from his nose and it's as if he's got flu like symptoms (albeit without the severe coughing) - we've taken him back to the vets twice and they've stated that it's to be expected, however the dosage should be increased (I think this will make him worse) . From what I have learned recently once a dog is exposed to Prednicare he/she should become busier, more hungry etc (he's also off his food).

Can anyone offer some much needed advice or confirm if these are indeed typical symptoms?

Many thanks,

Mark.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Hello There,
If you;re that worried then get a second opinion. I wouldn't say being drowsy and having fluid leaking from the nose is normal.
Hope he recovers.
Becky
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I am sorry i have no helpful advice but just wanted to wish him well and hope that he recovers quickly
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2007, 02:48 PM
I totally agree with Mahooli

Get a second opinion, what you have described does not sound good at all and I would certaintly not class it as normal
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Can only agree with the others get a second opinion.

Hope things improve soon.