View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 11:09 PM
I have a GSD with the early stages of HD and arthritis and I give him Synflex. It's got Shark cartilige in it so it's also good for protecting against cancer. Shaan is a different dog with more energy in him than ever. He's not as stiff in his joints either. It's something you could use in conjunction with the hydrotherapy.

Here's a link

Synflex
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

12-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone

We're back from our trip to the vets and he was really helpful. He has agreed that hydrotherapy is worth a go and so he wrote me a referral letter then and there.

I also mentioned a few things that I have learned from here and suggested some of the other drugs mentioned.

He said that the synoquin that he currently takes as a joint supplement has glucosamine and something else in it so he doesn't need to take it separately.

He agreed that he could see Glazby holding his back leg and this was because its causing him discomfort. He's said that he is at the perfect weight (30kg) and he's pleased that we've managed to maintain this.

So we've just phoned our insurance company up to say we've got the referral letter. They've now said that they also need a claim form signing by our vet (never said that yesterday) but they did confirm that on our policy they'll pay for up to 12 sessions at a time [B]up front!![B]

Thank you all for your advice yesterday - at the end of the day I just want my little man to be comfortable and painfree!!

Hayley..xx
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I have not read this whole thread, so appologies if I suggest something already said by others. I know a lady who owns a collie with HD, diagnosed at early age, and she gives her Synflex. The collie now leads a fairly normal life with off lead walks, play and swimming. She has 4 other dogs, all collie types, so it is not just little potter around type walks. The dog has a great life with hardly any discomfort, and does not need metacam since taking Synflex. :smt001
There are also other natural rememdies to help. I will ask permission to copy and paste another ladies advise.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2007, 11:35 AM
here is a link to where you can buy Synflex http://www.synflexforpets.co.uk/
Muriel
New Member!

12-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi Hayley, my oldie had severe arthritis and spondylitis and the vet insisted she had Metacam daily, like yours. Like a good person, I duly did as asked and gave her it daily for a couple of years, increasing as told by vet.

Poor Hannah got worse and worse, I was told and assumed "the natural progression of the disease" Then one day I was reading an article in the paper about a supplement called Runaround and KNEW I had to get it for her - several phone calls later, I got a hold of the company and asked more about it etc... long story short, it was OK to give with Metacam.

I started her on it and on 3rd day thought I saw an improvement?! On day 5 my poor wee girl who had barely been able to stagger to the end of the road on VERY shaky legs to lie down and watch the traffic, then stagger home again shook the living daylights out of me by walking normally to the road, along it to the field and TROTTING across the field! Then up the hill and through the park to see the kids She trotted a good couple of miles that day instead of struggling to manage 100 yards!!!

Needless to say I phased out the Metacam and stuck with the Runaround and we went back to walking, running even for a couple of years.

I later realised that the Metacam had given her the serious Colitis which nearly killed her on many occasions, so for my girl it was actually a disaster.

Has your vet been regularly testing your girl to check for damage? Mine didn't but they should, it can be very damaging, as bad as or worse in some cases as Rimadyl

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1752

“A dog that is potentially a candidate for long term use of meloxicam (Metacam) should have a complete examination by the veterinarian, a screening blood panel to establish baseline biochemical values, and ideally some kind of recheck testing two weeks after starting meloxicam. This is because most adverse reactions, unusual as they may be, occur within this initial time frame and it is important that they be recognized before they get out of hand. After this initial period, complete blood panels should be screened every six months, an important step with any medication for long term use, not just the NSAIDs. .....”

Now I'll copy and paste what I did for Hannah, it's not extensive, just what I found at the time, there's plenty more...

What worked for my old lady dog was Runaround from Stock Nutrition, which is Green Lipped Mussel, Shark Cartilage, Vitamins C & E. Within 5 days on that, she was trotting a couple of miles, with no trace of a limp, having previously only been able to stagger to the end of the road on very shaky pins, where she was lying down to watch the traffic while on Metacam. She was great on the Runaround for a couple of years.

Then her legs got worse again and I added in Garlic, Greenleaf Tablets from Denes, Osteotrace tablets from ARONHA, got her a magnetic collar, used crystals – Blue Lace Agate to start with, and others, she also had Acupuncture for months, but I eventually stopped that and did acupressure on her myself after having been shown by an Acupuncturist how and where would be most beneficial. These were all added in at various times as the need arose. She also latterly had Reiki which helped enormously and I believe gave her an extra 6 months with me.

There are loads of natural products and therapies out there which I am sure would help enormously. The trick is, as ever, finding the right thing for YOUR dog, which is where your gut comes in – you’ll know what’s right.

Homeopathy can also work wonders. Hannah just didn’t want it, she preferred herbs etc. The book which helped me a lot and sent me in various correct directions for Hannah is - Natural Healthcare for Pets by Richard Allport (available from the library). He covers a wide range of natural therapies and is based in Potters Bar, he’s one of the top Natural Vets.

Had I kept Hannah on Metacam, she would have been dead by 12 as the Vet prophesied, but once I changed her to natural treatments she was MUCH happier, healthier, fitter and had a much greater quality of life. She lived to 15 years and 6½ weeks!

Runaround is available from Stock Nutrition www.doghealth.co.uk Phone 08000 744302 They are very helpful.
Denes website is www.denes.com Phone 01273 325364 They also have a range of Factsheets which they will send out free of charge very quickly if you ask. They’re also very helpful.
ARONHA - Phone 01943 862893
I know Glucosamine can be great too.
Some other products I believe can be helpful are : Mobileaze www.aviform.co.uk I know someone who has used this very successfully with her Weimaraners.
Cortaflex
Synflex
Ease by Phytopet 01244 813162 email info@phytopet.co.uk Deer Velvet www.velvetenergy.com
Copper Collars help some dogs, but obviously not at the same time as a magnetic one!
Fish oil can help too.
Vit C
Vit E
Apple Cider Vinegar
Hydrotherapy
etc, etc, etc............

In your shoes, I'd see a Homeopathic/Holistic Vet too and see what they suggest, or if you don't have one near, email/phone. To find one, try here
http://www.bahvs.com/

http://www.trusthomeopathy.org/trust/tru_over.html

Basically that's what started me learning about natural healthcare as Hannah showed me how much better it was for her. I'm still learning, with my third dog teaching me now

Follow your gut - that's your dog telling you what he needs.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3