View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jo Sullivan
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2007, 12:17 AM

Cocker Spaniel - 8months old -is this her first season?

My lovely golden cocker spaniel has a very enlarged vagina. Looks like a little mini donut. She is not bleeding (that I can tell), she is 8 months old. Do you think she is in season, or has she got an infection? Can someone advise? Thanks Jo, Christchurch NZ
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Welcome to Dogsey, Jo :smt001

It does sound like she`s starting a season, the timing would be about right for it and bleeding does`nt always happen right away, some even barely lose a drop and some show virtualy no obvious sign at all, [ Silent Season ].

If you are at all concerned though, do pop her to the vet to be sure that its not an infection.
If it is a season [ which it most likely is ], you and the vet can then keep track of dates etc for future seasons or for timing of spay or whatever to make sure all is well, [ especially important in case of Pyometra as that has a fairly specific time cycle to a season, so if not spaying its something you will need to be aware of each time she has a season from first one onward and keeping a note of timings can be very important just in case ].
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Welcome Jo. No need for me to comment at all. Patch has given you a superbly comprehensive answer
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 08:57 AM
My girls vulvas swell a day or two before any signs of bleeding, so it looks as though it probably is.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:46 AM
My girls also keep themselves very clean so it's really only the swelling that tells me they've come in (and the reactions of the boys of course!)
Becky
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 11:09 AM
welcome to dogsey,the information you needed has been given,hope you enjoy being here xxx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I cant add anymore than the earlier answers and advice except to say to dogsey the best forum on the planet
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Jo Sullivan
New Member!
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks everyone. This is great.

Bindi has now shown signs of a very light period. So all is well.... She is particularly cuddly.

Thanks for your advice. We want her to have puppies next year so will take her along to the vet to get a bit of advice re breeding anyway.

Jo
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
We've got a few cocker breeders on here who can give you advice as to the best way to breed your girl and what tests are required before mating her etc.
Becky