Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2007, 11:08 PM

effective flea treatment

I am at my wit's end, no matter what I try Ben still seems to pick up fleas, it's not a lot, just 1 or 2 live ones can be found after a search but obviously he still has them!
I have flea bombed the house, regularly wash his bedding, even shampoo the carpets weekly (which is a pain ). Frontline worked but my vet doesn't recommend this anymore, the capstar tablets didn't work, I actually went back to the vet and complained about them, she gave Ben a free shot.
I walk him in a meadow and the vet seems to think this may be why he keeps getting them.
It is costing me a fortune and even worse doesn't solve the problem.
Anyone any ideas?
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Why does the vet not recommend Frontline anymore. I find it very good and have always used it, was it because it was having some strange effect on Ben or is it some promotional thing at the vet. If you cant get it from the vet anymore you can buy it on line much cheaper anyway.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I was wondering that same thing. If Frontline was the only thing that worked for you, then that would be the way to go unless there is a medical reason why your vet won't recommend it to you anymore? Best for you and Ben. You can buy Frontline on the internet if you can't get it from your vet. You may need to shop around to get the best price.

Also if the flea treatment was working correctly, then Ben should be protected against fleas until his next dose is due. The point in treating against fleas regularly is really to prevent, not cure.
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:43 AM
How about trying Advocate then? you can flea and worm at the same time
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:45 AM
other options may be stronghold, advocate, panacur - maybe mention these to your vet? Unless there is a medical reason as I said before there should be no reason why your vet doesn't recommend Frontline other than promotional.

I have found R.I.P Fleas to be very effective on the house. It lasts for 12 months, so provided Ben and all other animals are kept flea free in the future, you should not technically have to treat the house again.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I would use Nuvan Staykil for your house, that works amazingly well and for a very long time. It's normally the house that harbours most of the fleas not the dog!
Becky
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2007, 10:52 AM
What about Program/Program Plus?

I can't use any flea treatments on Finn that touch his skin so we have to use Program Plus on him as its a tablet. I know it interferes with the reproductive system of the flea so does not kill them right away.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
How about trying Advocate then? you can flea and worm at the same time
thats what the vet recommended for me and i was dubious at first,not having used before but its good,but if youv more than one dog rember to keep them seperated till its dried in so they dont lick,it my vet said shes never heard of fatalities caused by licking but i wasnt going to be the first xx
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
thats what the vet recommended for me and i was dubious at first,not having used before but its good,but if youv more than one dog rember to keep them seperated till its dried in so they dont lick,it my vet said shes never heard of fatalities caused by licking but i wasnt going to be the first xx
the vet used it on minnie when she was a puppy, ive recently tried johnsons tablets but they arent so good so will be buying advocate next time she needs doing. would recommend it
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 03:42 PM
I am a receptionist at a vet practice and have been told by the vets that the fleas are becoming immune to Frontline. Also clients are coming in saying they treat regularly with Frontline and it does not seem to work anymore.

There are a number of other products on the market. I use Prac-tic which is new (at our practice anyway) , but seems to work for my dogs. It is unfortunately not yet available for cats. I use Advantage for my cats, but that only works for fleas, not ticks.

I also treat the house and bedding with a household flea spray from the vets and 'touches wood' have no problems with my 5 dogs and 2 cats!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >