View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 10:16 PM
When Isla first went to the vets as a pup, I paid an extra £60 to have her vaccinated for life. Basically means I won't have to pay anything everytime she goes for her annual check up/booster etc.

So no I won't be self vaccinating (didn't realise you could), but for once it'll actually a vet visit that I don't begrudge!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Blimey Rips thats a heck of a good deal
Anyone passing that up would be nuts !
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Blimey Rips thats a heck of a good deal
Anyone passing that up would be nuts !
I know! I consider myself nuts 99% of the time, so on that occasion, I was obviously having a good day!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
I asked one of the vets I chat too and below is the reply she gave me. I am waiting for another vet I know that I have contacted to get the question and get back to me, she has been qualified for many years so may know for definate.

Quote;
[no idea if it's legal or not to be honest. i know we'd never sell a vaccination to a member of the public though so you'd have to find somewhere to get them from to start with. most vaccination certs ask for signature of vet and practice stamp which you obviously couldn't do - kennels etc wouldn't trust it without a vet's signature. i vaccinated my horse this year, but had to get one of the other vets to sign my passport to say it had been done on that day or it wouldn't have been valid.]
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Here is the answer from my other vet friend who has been a vet for many years. This is what she told me.

[
it is absolutely NOT legal.

in fact you can be prosecuted and sent to prison for up to 6 months for it.

only a vet can give a vaccination, so as a vet you can vaccinate your own animals, and, in fact you can sign your own animals vaccination card, but it's suggested that you get someone else to do it, for practical purposes.

I have known a dog breeder who bought vaccinations from another country and vaccinated her puppies, sold them with their first vaccine done, and wrote certificate out herself. she sold one puppy to the daughter of a member of the VMD (vet medecines directorate) - who are in charge of policing the whole thing, and so she was found out. They came down pretty heavy on the practice I worked for at the time, because they thought that we'd sold her the vaccines, but we could prove we didn't (they were the wrong brand) but she'd stolen blank vaccination cards from the practice to hand out.

anyway, it's a definite and resounding NO.]
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2007, 03:14 PM
I get my vet do a full physical exam at the same time as he give them their vaccinations.

Worth every penny as I also know that they are fit and healthy.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
I get my vet do a full physical exam at the same time as he give them their vaccinations.

Well said Colin.
There is so much more to a vaccs visit than just administering a jab. For many dogs its the only time they ever see the vet so the piece of mind at a clean bill of health from a general check-up year to year is well worth it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Apart from the fact it is highly unethical for a vet to dish out drugs to Jo public to administer themselves,,, it is illegal, according to my vet. not to mention the fact if they get it wrong, they could be sued to high heaven.

If Northen Ireland is part of the UK, and this vet is allowing people to self vaccinate their own dogs, he is putting himself in danger of being sued or stuck off ,not to mention the health of the dogs, if something was to go wrong.

If a vet vaccinates, and you have the certified certificate to prove it, you know your animals have been done properly, had their general health checked over.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
if you had in fact read my ealier post youd know i was on the border,between the uk and the south,
how many cattle farmers give there own medicines and vaccines to cow?,how many sheep owners give medication to there animals?my vet supplier has been working with us for years and is much able to see wether i can do it than,any one ,he showed me how do do it,so i dont think he has a problems so nether should anyone else,
also i dont rember changing my name from zoeybeau1 to joe publichow many horse owners treat for injurys?

i dont doubt there is someone else on here who vaccinate there own dogs,i have a annual visit from my vet who comes and checks them out and they go in indiviual for heart checking throughout the year.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post

its not money its convenience
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »