Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2007, 08:18 PM

Lexi swallowed something Advice Please

Hi
On Saturday evening Lexi swallowed something which we haven't a clue what it was, it stuck in her throat and I tried to retrieve it but she swallowed it and she was choking for a few seconds but she seemed to have taken it down we took her to the Emergency vets but as we didn't know what she had eaten he said unless it was bone or metal it wouldn't show up on X-ray and as she wasn't at that time showing serious distress see how she went on he gave her an injection incase it had been a wasp or bee...After that she wouldn't eat or drink for 2 days we could only get her to take water off our fingers and then it was only a couple of licks She has seen the vets and they have given her some medicine (Like Gaviscon) and more antibiotics but they won't X-ray or do any exploration She will now eat and drink after she has had her medication but she just lies in her bed
totally uninterested in what is going on and before this episode she was such a lively playful dog never still for a minute... Do you think she is just really sore from the object
She is like she has aged 10 years in 5 days any advice would be welcome as worried sick about her
Sue
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Did the vet feel her stomach or look down her throat?
Is there another vets you could get a second opinion, if she doesnt improve she really needs something done.
sorry not much help, hopefully someone else may know something else you could do.
hope she feels better soon. xxx
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Yes her stomach shows no discomfort and she has had her mouth examined but only by looking in her mouth with the natural light I thought they may have looked with a small torchlike instrument as she has a beard and that always gets in the way she will only eat food if very small pieces we have been feeding her boiled chicken breast to get her interested she won't touch her gravy bones which she loves
She seems almost depressed
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Schnauzerbabe View Post
...we took her to the Emergency vets but as we didn't know what she had eaten he said unless it was bone or metal it wouldn't show up on X-ray and as she wasn't at that time showing serious distress see how she went on he gave her an injection incase it had been a wasp or bee...After that she wouldn't eat or drink for 2 days we could only get her to take water off our fingers and then it was only a couple of licks She has seen the vets and they have given her some medicine (Like Gaviscon) and more antibiotics but they won't X-ray or do any exploration ...
What century is that vets living in
I take it they havent heard of barium which coats foreign objects so that they show up as white objects on x-rays

All sorts of things show up, from pebbles to bits of rubber balls to socks, you name it most show up, and glass apparently shows up with great clarity even though its clear to the naked eye.
Any case of strongly suspected blockage / foreign object in the digestive system which is not found by x-ray [ sometimes due to position of an object being hidden behind organs or bones ], would normally be checked for by endoscope.
I dont know what they are thinking quite frankly !
My best advice is to get a second opinion asap and even sooner if she is not eating, drinking, or passing things out the other end properly.

Please let us know how things go, this must be so worrying for you seeing her unwell
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2007, 09:03 PM
She is doing her motions and weeing ok she has just lost all vigour and interest and seems to find it hard to swallow at first it was if she didn't want to chew but she will chew now if the piece of meat is too big to swallow whole but she doesn't do it willingly...
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I was going to say patch just been thinking about what the vet said about the x-rays.
On these vets/ animal programmes they x-ray all sorts inside dogs, other than metal or bone, as dogs like to eat stones, wood, toys etc and they need to see where it is if it gets blocked.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Schnauzerbabe View Post
She is doing her motions and weeing ok she has just lost all vigour and interest and seems to find it hard to swallow at first it was if she didn't want to chew but she will chew now if the piece of meat is too big to swallow whole but she doesn't do it willingly...
She may just have hurt her throat then, as it doesn't sound as if there's a blockage as I think you also said that there's no discomfort in her tummy? But, we can't be sure without X-ray. I'd agree with patch's post and about your vet's apathy If you've no idea what she has swallowed as well as damage to her throat, even if there isn't any blockage the item may be poisoning her. I'd be getting a second opinion. let us know how you get on. XX
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 10:21 PM
When Fudge had a suspected blockage they said they would x-ray but if objects did not show up they would just operate and open her up to see what was there. She stopped pooing but eventually the blockage cleared on its own. I would definately be going back either for a second opinion or to another vet.All the best. plaese keep us informed.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 11:15 PM
I'd change vets If I was you. My Lexie had a similar problem last week and the vet did a through examination. Couldnt feel anything so though what ever it was had passed through and gave me protalin. He did say if symptons persisted for more than 2 days to bring her back to be sedated for further tests. You should at least go back
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Sorry I can't be of any help but I do hope the wee thing is lots better. It may be that she is sore - perhaps the object was something pointed/sharp?

Hope tomorrow will see her back to near normal. Big hugs and cuddles to her from both Loki and me too

xx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >