View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2007, 12:47 PM
I would personally try putting your dog on a raw meat and fish diet before undergoing an operation to remove the anal glands.

If I feed my Dobes with high fibre then I pay the price, because they all get incessant wind and it stinks the house out.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi Miss P emptying anal glands is such a quick and easy procedure I would never consider putting an elderly dog through an anaesthetic and a removal operation.
..have a small bowl of warm water ready,
..standing at the side of the dog hold the tail up in one hand,
..with the other hand take a tissue and gently squeeze the sides of the dogs anus with the side of your thumb and forefinger at about the 'ten to two position',
..take a clean tissue and repeat,
..remember to breath through your mouth not your nose
..now gently wash the area around the dogs anus with the warm water and a blob of shampoo,
..dry with a tissue.
The whole process takes about two minutes and the dog doesn't seem to mind in the least.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 01:55 PM
I have to put a hand full of all bran in with Doris food every week to stop hers, its not a really bad proplem at the moment the all bran seems to keep it under control.
JR Lady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2007, 04:19 AM
Modern Techniques in Anal Gland removal, have greatly reduced previous complictions of damage to the sphyncter and leakage after surgery.

Bran fibre added to his food may help

Good luck to you and to Bug
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Just a quick update! As I was reading the other anal gland thread!
I have gradually changed Bugs diet from the Burns High Oats to RCW Obesity Control (as he is a bit podgy ) and he seems to emptying the glands himself!
He had started the 'twirling' on his bum just as I started the change over and I was thinking of trying to empty the glands myself or a vet visit. Then (sorry in advance) he did a really gross poop, covered in slime and stopped twirling! He seems to have been OK since then!

Fingers crossed!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2