View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I have nothing to add to the advice others have given, just that I am thinking of you and Woody at this sad and difficult time
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you are having to think about this

I do believe, like others, better always a day too early than a day too late...

I differ a bit from some in that I don't always think we do "know" the right time. Maybe sometimes, but if we consider that dogs are very stoic and also pack animals, and no matter how much they trust us and how close our relationship, nature and instinct will be telling them not to show how ill they are because they would perhaps lose their place in the pack.

My first dog to be put to sleep i was very close to and he was so faithful, he sadly was put to sleep at the vets due to kidney problems but apart from showing some tiredness and sickness he was appearing just sleepy, whereas in reality it was time to let him go...

There is a set of criteria written by a vet which suggests how to work out when is the right time, I will try to find it and post it on this thread.

Sending kind thoughts to you ...

Wys
x
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 04:31 PM
One of my first vets always said he "preferred a day too soon than a day too late"& TBH that is my feeling too. I've had to have a few dogs PTS & their eyes always told me when the quality had gone from their lives
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 06:07 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's that particular look in their eyes which tells you. But if Woody is still ready and willing to potter down the road for a few minutes, and new medication does help with the pain, and he's eating etc., then give it a go. I don't think you will need to ask when the time is right, because I honestly believe he will tell you.

Lots of love to you and Woody.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the concern everyone.

He's much the same today as he has been the last few weeks. He's happy enough, still wants to go out for his strolls, wolfs his food down (he's a Lab though, I don't think this would ever change) and he still greets you with a smile and a waggy tail on a morning. Although more reluctant to get out of bed these days.

He's definitely lost some of his sparkle these last few weeks and I have a feeling this is due to the pain. His quality of life is still their, he's still doing all the things he's always done, I suppose it's just knowing when to say enough is enough.

So it's off to the vets next week for some much needed advice.

All the hugs were gratefully received too, by both me and Woody.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Just a quick update. Took Woody to the vets this morning and it went better than I expected. She had a look at him and has put him on some Previcox for a couple of weeks to see how he goes, she agrees he's in pain and wants to see what these tablets do for him. I need to give her a ring a week on Monday to let her know of his progress and if all is well he can start Hydrotherapy (which he'll lurve! ).

So all in all we're all feeling a lot better, no mention from the vet of him being PTS just yet so at least there's some hope there.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 10:29 AM
great news Rips, what a relief for you. It wioll be interesting to hear how you get on with Hydrotherapy, Halis collie has it and has done well on it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 10:54 AM
That's great news, must make you feel a lot better now.
Becky
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 11:29 AM

thats great news and im sure its a weight offa your mind ,big hugs for you its mentally exhausting having a sick fur baby xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Good news for you and Woody hope the new tablets make life easier for him and the hydrotherapy.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >