View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Ooh dear nasty sad topic this. Everyone above has said it all already I think.
For me its definitely quality of life that decides the time. And if you're honest with yourself you'll know when that time comes.
My poor mom couldnt do this with our Beano, I had to video him in the end before she could see how bad he'd got. She just didnt see it day to day. But when she sat down and watched she was sad he'd gone that far. Thats why I say be honest with yourself and let him go with some dignity left.
Big hugs for you and woody
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Nothing to add really, just a comforting (((((hug))))
& good luck with new meds. x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Everybody else has said it,if you trust your Vet talk to him or Her and see what they say they usually know our Vet kept max going as long as possible but told us when it was time to let him go.You will also know.(((Hugs))) to you and Woody.xx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Oh heck, what a sad topic to have to discuss, my heart goes out to you

I can only echo what everyone else has said, the main thing I guess is that the dog comes first and if their enjoyment of life isn't there, they aren't eating well and no quality of life then the time is right.

It is the decision we all loathe to make, but the last kindness we can offer for all those years of loyalty and love.

Thinking of you and big hugs to you xxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Oh Rips big hugs, its the worst thing about having a pet huh? WE will be facing this with Mo sooner rather than later and its so hard.
I think the dog does tell you in its own way. When biff had his accident with his eye I considered it with him, as he wasn't Biff anymore, he was unhappy and not himself at all. He'd eat and he was existing, but it wasn't him and i hated to see him like that.
With Mo it will be ahrder to tell as he hasn't got quite as much personality as Biff, if you see what I mean, he's a happy plodder, so it will be a tougher call as it will be harder to tell if he is just existing or not.
I think you know your dog the best and only you will be able to tell if he is just 'there' rather than being himself and having quality of life.
Big hugs Rips, its a bad time and an awful thing to have to start contemplating. x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Big Hugs for you. For me it is always the dog first, it's going to be painful for me regardless of when the deed is done but I'd rather a week too soon than a day too late.
Thinking of you.
Becky
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Its hard but in most cases they do tell you, my Kayos carried on with cancer for a long while he may have had a bad day but he picked up & enjoyed life again, tthen in the end he just gave me a look as if to say I can't do it any more mum & I took him to my vet who said he agreed with me & I said goodbye. The hardest is when its a problem like my Dewi developed where his spine was affected & his back end was paralysed but his front end was still up & ready & he was still eating. The vet said we could continue for a time with a cart & a sling & I had to think was I considering saying goodbye for my convenience or for him but in the end I felt it was not far on him to keep him like that & most people agreed with me, though I lost one or two friends who reckoned imy decision was just because I did not want to cope with a cart & supporting him out to the toilet, but I know that if I'd thought he'd have been happy with that life I'd have done it.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 01:13 PM
iv helped with this subject twice before with friends,all i say is when you look into them eyes you can in your heart know when there time is done,youl feel it in your heart,
i cant say much more than that,

its not fair on them to be in uncontrolble pain,when your able to go to the last with your pet,family member the one whos gave you all there love for years never asked for nothing in return,been there when you come in from work,been there for you when your in pain,when your upset,been there for you when you never asked nothing from them,you will know xx sorry woody isnt feeling to good, xx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 01:25 PM
agree with the others ...its a hard decision to make anytime

I took my dads cavalier to be PTS 2 weeks ago she had advanced mamory tumours and the vet said only a short time but he decided he didn't want the time to come when she was in real pain so decided to have it done before ..a brave decision i think and she seemed still fairly bright ( not her true self at all though ) ..........
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 02:02 PM
As the others have said, you will know.

It is the one good thing we can do for them at that time, to see they have a peaceful, pain free end, and working with people who would like that and don't get it that priviledge should never be taken for granted.

*big hugs for you*
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >