View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 09:54 PM

How long do you wait....? (updated post 26)

Do you put a dog to sleep because the pain is killing you, or wait until the pain is killing him?

Do you risk doing it too early to save yourself, or wait too long and risk putting yourself before the dog?

Any thoughts would help.

(Didn't really know where to put this, but as it's Woody's health that is deteriorating thought I'd put it here. Feel free to move it.)
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 10:12 PM
This is a really difficult subject and to be honest the only person that will really know is you.

The main thing to consider is the animals quality of life. Is the animal simply existing? Or are they still happy in themselves? It is probably the hardest decision anyone has to make as a pet owner and the one that everyone dreads. Remember that your vets are not only there to treat Woody, but also to offer advice. If you are concerned about this then book an appointment to have a chat with your vet. They are trained to help in these situations and will be able to help you make this hard decision. A good vet will do what is right by the animal so I think this may be a good idea in your case.

I hope I have been of some help at this difficult time for you (((Hugs)))
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-05-2007, 10:19 PM
You will know in yourself, and also your dog will somehow tell you. If you are beginning to think about what was the unthinkable, it is getting near the time. The way I look at it we are responsible for them, for looking after them, making sure they have as good a quality of life as we can offer, and if there isn't any quality of life anymore, a dignified ending without pain or fear.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 10:19 PM
This is a really hard subject!
I myself have always thought I would rather a day too early than a day too late!
It is always hard on the owner, no matter when. It would feel easier in time I knew I didnt let the dog suffer for a length of time.
The vet will be able to give you advice. If the pain and discomfort can be relived or not and the quality of life.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-05-2007, 10:24 PM
You will know..
I knew..yet still kept Polly hanging on, kept her here to a point where she was spiritually dead yet physically lingering. I wish i had made the decision sooner, before letting her totally change to a vicious, unpredictable dog who was obviously in so much pain.
You will know...Woody will look at you and you will see that he is not long for this world, this is when you make the choice. When life has not become something he lives but something he endures.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, it is a difficult subject to broach and one I'm sure we've all dealt with before.

I think I will take him a long to the vets, he was recently put on Metacam to help with the arthritis, which didn't help a jot (I think he's too far gone now TBH). She did suggest another medication to try if the Metacam didn't work, which I'd completely forgotten about so I'll go along and see what she thinks. My vet is lovely so at least I know she'll give me the best advice and be honest.

When Bonnie was nearing the end we all hung on and she was surviving rather than living. I really want to avoid this with Woody, but the problem with Woody is he wants to please so much he'll push through the pain just to give you what he thinks you want. You can't ever tell if he's had enough, cos he has a permenant smile on his face - even though he must be in so much pain. I'm sure he'd be happy to potter up the road for a couple of minutes each day, but for me it's hard to see him hobble along trying to keep up.

Woody really is one of those one in a million dogs and I don't think we'll be having another yellow Lab for many, many years.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2007, 11:07 PM
I think the way to decide is to determine if the dog has any quality of life.
Can it eat/enjoy any aspect of life/ is it in any pain.

Elderly dogs can have a number of bad days and then pick up again so I would say evaluate over a number of days.

Edited to add a hug for Woody he is a lovely old boy...
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Like most peple have already said YOU will know when the time is right. Our boy was only 8 when he was diagnosed with throat cancer, it all happened within a matter of 2 weeks. The day he was put to sleep he ate his tea and was wagging his tail right up until he was put to rest. Its the hardest thing to do but in time ull see its for the best. Best wishes xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear Woody's deteriorating honey. You will know when it's time, especially as you are aware that you may have held on too long last time.
I persionally cannot bear to see an animal suffer, so despite the pain to me, I must always do what's best for the dog. Good luck with your decision, when the time comes. Hugs xox
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 07:35 AM
This is a horrible decision to make but as others have said you just know when the time is right, we had to make the decision with Bo, the vet said he could keep him alive a bit longer but he was in pain, had no quality of life and would have had to stay at the vets til the end, we would have just watched him die slowly, we couldnt do it to him.

We made the heart ripping decision to let him go, hardest decision i have ever made in my life and it hurt like hell but we know it was the right one.

Good luck, my thoughts are with you xx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »