Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Good Morning Ashlady, Mango and all,

Its funny I was feeling guilty at not posting a new follow up on Lucky's progress and had said so only last night and then I pop on here to do just that and see your message so apologies for the delay.

I was waiting originally to see if anything new could be reported and perhaps even announce that she was back in the outside world but no she is still with me. The good news being that she is continuing to improve and no sign that she will not totally recover.

Her flying has improved as the feathers have returned and I have been able to get a better look at her overal condition. I get the impression that when the Hawk caught her and perhaps its so with any larger bird the Hawk manages to catch that they try to go for the area around/under the wings because having been interupted by me at least twice when Lucky now stretches her wings though fine feathers have returned its obvious that she lost quite a few from the inside of the wings where they join the body.

Where we think that black scab was on her body still looks healthy and feathers have returned so the bare area has reduced to the size of perhaps a 1p coin. The final area on her lower right breast has some fine feathers at last but I realise only to well from seeing how they returned amongst the other breast feathers and how dense the plumage is there that will take quite some time.

But she is bright, alert, eating and drinking, stretching her body, spreading her wings and tail feathers and grooming herself.

She seems to particularly like preening and showing herself if I have talked to her and/or have stroked her. Equally, she seems to also enjoy feeding more after some attention.

I've tried to vary what she eats but her favourite item has to have been wheat(so I have an idea now what their preferences are when feeding in the garden and many other birds do seem to ignore it)but she has also shown interest in pearl barley, wholemeal bread, teacake, millet, safflower, black rape, maize, a combination of honey, wild berries and even dried water shrimp. So even without having been injured she has been given the chance to build up her strength and enegry ready for what looks like the hard Winter ahead if predictions are correct. Had it come in time(and it could be here this Monday)I ordered a feed specially enjoyed by doves etc...which has wheat, barley and maize all in one but for some reason the company was having difficulty getting my credit cards verified(even though other online shopping was fine)but its all sorted now and everything is fine.

So I am seriously thinking of releasing Lucky in the next few days. I think she will survive and continue to recover. I dare hardly say it but the Hawk has not been around of late(well, not in my garden)but on the day of release I will be having a good look around. I have some more photo's, showing her preening if I hope I'll get posted sooner or later. I still get concerned if I use an online photo site I'll do something wrong but I have probably used up my allowed space on here.

On the day of release I will either try and take her outside and let her go or will open the door of the room and the one in the adjoining passage into the garden and let her fly out when she is ready.

Now, having told you about Lucky...how is everything at Cafe Ash? Is everything ok? Did the results come through of the tests? I suspect that you have as much to tell as myself

In general as Mango knows, my garden still has to be tidied up(the rain still means its too wet to really do anything)and remember that fence the new neighbours put up, well yesterday, though I've known winds be stronger, half of it was blown over and not just the wood panels but the supporting brickwork too so I suspect it will mean he'll have to make another attempt at building at least half of it again perhaps it had been weakened during previous bad weather.

Of course since the original was built I have put in some shrubs and bulbs(they are showing already)so now when he starts to rebuild he'll have to work amongst my plants good job I haven't quite got my order in for the others I plan to grow for coverage and the birds just yet. It will get sorted in time.

Take Care

Gildy xx
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Thats great news about Lucky, Gildy - I was wondering how she was and whether you had released her or not. I bet she won't want to leave when the time comes for her to go You have done a wonderful job with her, you should be very proud of yourself
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Morning Foxy,
I hope to get on here a bit more soon, I have been reading though

Also a satellite radio station has been playing every number 1 record since the charts began and I think I have heard approx 680 so far though I have to admit many of the newer ones I do not know or who they are by

I've been surprised having listened that some I thought reached number did not and that some that did get there are rubbish but then again its personal taste

Social Raisins is probably right about Lucky(and my Mum says similar)that she must be missing not being out there flying and perhaps having a partner. Then again, I think that they adapt and chances are she's probably in reality enjoying the fact that she's safe, warm, has food and drink and gets attention and a few little ledges she can sit on and look down on what's happening. But yes, I know that I have to and should release her.

You know how they often say an animal or bird can attach itself to the first thing it sees, well though I think I have managed to keep her from being too tame, I do think that she has formed a bond and in some ways probably sees me as another dove or mate

I know that she has to face bad weather but it has been bad of late and even yesterday fireworks were still going off but again the utility room where she is, you hear them less than in the house so she's been spared that too.

I'll keep you posted.

Gildy x

Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Gildy, I'm glad all is going well with Lucky, and I hope your garden dries out soon.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2005, 02:35 PM
The neighbours on the other side of us are doing their Conservatory today...That's what they call it but at best as far as I can see all they will be able to get into it are two chairs and if pushed a table. And unless they put plenty of glass into it for light and it doesn't look as though they are, the location chosen will be very dark inside. Its more like an ordinary extension to the dining room.

Besides, the sun starts off at the back of the house and by midday its at the front of the house until sunset...any light in the back garden is only thanks to the light that comes over the rooftops or the gaps between between the houses.

Hope you are having a quiet afternoon

Gildyx
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Gildy, it sounds as if you're neighbours are just showing off, you'll be able to have a quiet laugh when they sit there in the gloom !

I usually spend half my Saturdays washing and ironing, as my husband's in the Armed Forces, and he only comes home at weekends with his dirty washing !He retires next August, which is a bit worrying , I'm used to being independant, and I can see there are going to be fights over the computer ! talk soon, Curmy x
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Curmy, You may get find you get the chance to do all the things that you've put off and may not have time to be here

You'd be missed:smt058

I'm not a vindictive person and if people have the cash to improve or have what they wish for their home, go for it but even Mum who doesn't really take an interest in such matters says herself that she cannot understand why they are doing this. And another thought has struck us...its likely to affect the neighbour on that side of the property by affecting the light they get in their dining room as these are all semi detached houses. We thought much the same as you as to why its being done.

Catch You somewhere soon...

Gildy x
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Dear Gildy,

Well, Lucky most certainly was well named to have such a caring rescuer, you've gone above and beyond the 'call of duty' with her, well done, I'm sure that you will both miss one another.
I think that it will be very ineresting to see how she reacts to freedom, do you?
Not to get too deep but I'm a firm believer in what is meant to be will be and that's why what happened did so in your garden

We actually got both front and back lawns cut yesterday
It was very spongey and most probably a bit too wet but I thought it's now or next spring never cut grass this late before
As I've mentioned before I think, we have a medlar tree in the back garden and the fruit at this time of the year ripens and for the first time ever the starlings have decided to eat them and seem to love them, so wondering if the unusual weather has made any difference
This morning had some long tail and blue tits eating the sunflower hearts and peanuts, so little by little they are coming back

Oh dear that's a shame about next door's fence it sounds like it's quite a major job to fix.
To be honest Gildy I find your conservatory keep up with the Jonses quite amusing
I expect if one gets something new you know that the otherside will follow suit

Please let us know how Lucky's release goes?
Hope that you are well

Chris x
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi Gildy and all, finally caught up with you after a busy few days. Glad to here Lucky is continuing to improve and will be ready for flight soon. I just wonder whether it may be worth (or possible) to give Lucky access to her new found home from home, as you may find that she wishes to come for the odd sleep over!

As for Cafe Ash we had another casualty just before the weekend - I am sorry to say that all the joy has left my routine of spotting the patrons of the cafe as I am now obsessed with finding the sickly birds for which I now know there is no recovery! The university have sent a report and also a questionnaire to return. the little finches are dying of Trichomoniasis. It is a parasite of the crop. It mostly affects ground feeders and seems to be quite a problem nationwide at the moment. Here is the official description from the BTO webste.

Trichomoniasis is caused by the single cell parasite Trichomonas gallinae. It is also known as 'pigeon canker'. This reflects the fact that pigeons and doves appear the most susceptible to this disease and are the main carriers. Other species of birds, including other garden birds, game birds and raptors may also be affected. During severe outbreaks, it seems likely that quite high proportions of affected local Collared Dove populations may die, highlighting the particular susceptibility of this species to the disease. Young birds appear more susceptible than adults.

The infection is thought to be spread via food or drinking water freshly contaminated with saliva or (possibly) droppings from an infected individual. Trichomonas appears unable to survive outside of its host for more than a few minutes. Infected individuals may appear lethargic and often dribble or show difficulty in swallowing.

The lady at the university said that it is very important to keep the ground clear of faeces and make sure that it is regularly disinfected, so I shall keep to my strict regime and hopefully, we have a harsh winter and the cold will kill off the affected birds and the parasite. She said that I should still feed as it isn't the gathering of the birds that is spreading this killer, but keep a watch for any different type of bird that falls ill with the same symptoms and send it on if I'm able.

Sorry this is not such a happy post, Cafe Ash is not such a happy place a the moment.

Take care, H x
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2005, 10:36 PM
How sorry I am for you AL

It must be really heartbreaking to go through this, bless your heart I hoped that you'd be feeling better by now

Thinking of you,
Chris x
Page 8 of 13 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »