Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 10:34 PM

Remus has an owie

A hole in his side thanks to Tonks! It was an accident rather than an on purpose bite. He'd been faffing around on the walk, biting her head and generally being a yob, so we went through the fir tree woods were the ground is very soft and mossy which he loves to run around on.

He had the whizzies for a bit while Tonks chewed and rolled a log. Then he ran up to her, still a few feet from her log and she charged at him with a big rumbly bark/snap...part of a 'game' they play...and for some reason he managed to move forwards while he was dashing away and bounced into her mouth. He screamed and she seemed quite surprised and went back to chewing her log.

So he now has this nasty hole in his thin skin. It's not gone through the muscle wall, and I've bathed it and will keep an eye on it.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Ouch! That does look painful. Tonks has been through a lot lately... so maybe she was more irritated than she usually is?

I know how puppies can be... I have one about the same age as yours. So maybe to prevent this or lessen it... maybe a lead for rambunctious Remus might be in order for the next time?

Not trying to tell you anything or be a meanie, but just concerned about your stress level and perhaps that of the dogs. Forbid you have to go through any other mess at this point in time, right?

Hopefully he will be all right. I think he will! Good luck and sorry something else has cropped up! We're here for you, Catrin.

P.S. Jade snaps at Nigredo sometimes, but he usually manages to get out of the way. He's gotten bitten once, but his thick Labramutt fur and his leather-like skin kept any damage away.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Owwww poor Remus!
Inherited that thin sighthound skin, d'ya reckon?

I'm always finding little scabs and scratches on Frodo and have no idea where they've come from
He's got a graze on his muzzle right now from running into a tree...
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 10:58 PM
He's managed it with the collie I walk as well because he likes to get them it run by dashing towards them and back out again at the last minute....but sometimes bungles the last bit.

I take a football with me and if he's hassling Tonks and she doesn't want to play then he and I play with that for a while.

I've been watching them closely at home when I hear them starting to play, as it's always Remus that instigates play and I'm conscious that, left to his own devises, he will bully her into playing. She likes playing tuggy with him but not bity games as he's too rough. I make sure there's tuggy toys for them and she'll get one of those and shove it in his mouth if she decides to play.

I'm also conscious that, although she seems fine in general, we have no idea if she has any internal tumors and might start feeling I'll at any point.

On the week days it's not a problem becuase Remus has lots of other dogs to play with while I walk them. I think on the wknd I need to start taking a variety of toys so Tonks can run around the place doing her own thing on walks while I entertain remus.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Owwww poor Remus!
Inherited that thin sighthound skin, d'ya reckon?

I'm always finding little scabs and scratches on Frodo and have no idea where they've come from
He's got a graze on his muzzle right now from running into a tree...
Yes he has extremely thin skin..so it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's where he dashes in and out as well, that doesn't help, if he'd stood still it wouldn't have happened because she wasn't trying to make contact. But he lurched forward for a split second, she made contact, and then he was speeding off again.....ripping the skin.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Thin skin is the worst. I'm thankful Nigredo is a fluffy doggy with leather-like skin and that Jade's jaws aren't as strong as Tonks' with her super skinny GSD head.

I'm sure Remus will be fine. Hang in there

Also, Jadey is very old now and doesn't like playing at all anymore. If Nigredo won't be still and keeps bothering her, I usually have no choice but to separate them for a bit. Once she growls at him, he usually reacts by jumping around and snipping at her head.

Then she'll snark at him (curl a lip and growl) and it has (on a few occasions) gotten ugly where both dogs got upset and got in each others faces with hackles raised and puffed chests. Pre-requisite for a nasty fight, which I don't want of course.

You are lucky Tonks is as patient as she is.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2013, 12:54 AM
This has insanely reminded me of an incident when my younger lad was little. Mums were having coffee boys playing football. mates kid co me in screaming ... Danny kicked me. Dan right behind him all indignant ...I did NOT!! He landed on my foot!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
This has insanely reminded me of an incident when my younger lad was little. Mums were having coffee boys playing football. mates kid co me in screaming ... Danny kicked me. Dan right behind him all indignant ...I did NOT!! He landed on my foot!
So easily done!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Ouch, poor Remus - I should imagine that it does not take much to puncture thin skin and hope it heals quickly.

Pereg does not have particularly thin skin so when she was attacked and had a puncture wound similar to that it had to be cleaned out and stapled, and a week of ABs.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Ouch, poor Remus - I should imagine that it does not take much to puncture thin skin and hope it heals quickly.

Pereg does not have particularly thin skin so when she was attacked and had a puncture wound similar to that it had to be cleaned out and stapled, and a week of ABs.
Ugh....fingers crossed that doesn't happen to him! It is paper thin.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >