Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2013, 09:33 AM
yes, got it in one
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2013, 10:09 AM
This has been going round dog forums for years . the reason it was started was because people were demonstrating how the BSL is stupid as its quite easy to make a mistake identifying a pit bull therefore an illegal dog
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
This has been going round dog forums for years . the reason it was started was because people were demonstrating how the BSL is stupid as its quite easy to make a mistake identifying a pit bull therefore an illegal dog

Well considering how long they have been illegal you wouldn't really expect too many people to get it right now, people and even other dog owners don't generally IMO know too many other breeds I have been amazed how many people cannot spot a Chihuahua or someone who thought Mollie (retrieverxcollie) was a poodle
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Well considering how long they have been illegal you wouldn't really expect too many people to get it right now, people and even other dog owners don't generally IMO know too many other breeds I have been amazed how many people cannot spot a Chihuahua or someone who thought Mollie (retrieverxcollie) was a poodle
But this originally appeared on the net years ago with the DDA was more recent to make the point about the identification pointlessness of the law at that time

Iremember doing this quiz at the time

it was meant as acampaigning tool I think
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
But this originally appeared on the net years ago with the DDA was more recent to make the point about the identification pointlessness of the law at that time

Iremember doing this quiz at the time

it was meant as acampaigning tool I think
No problem with that but why ask the question now is my query ? seems too long ago now for people to have clear memories and as I said many people cannot recognise many breeds so why would they know what a historic (for UK) dog looks like ?
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
No problem with that but why ask the question now is my query ? seems too long ago now for people to have clear memories and as I said many people cannot recognise many breeds so why would they know what a historic (for UK) dog looks like ?
Dunno. - what does the OP say ?

Maybe she posted it up to highlight the same issue , which is still avalid point

or maybe it was just fun ?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I wonder what the difference is between that nice-looking Pit Bull and a "REAL Pit Bull" ?
The group "pit bull" actually refers to 3 dog breeds originally. The Staffordshire, the American pit bull Terrier, and the Bull terrier. These days, American Bulldogs, American Bullies, and a few other breeds are now included.

For some ridiculous reason, the UK uses the term "pit bull" ONLY to refer to the American Pit Bull Terrier. I'm not sure where this came from... or why it was done, but it's infuriating.

There is a solid reason the DDA is a total failure... they banned the WRONG dogs! Never will you ever see the American Pit Bull Terrier (as pictured on the site) in ANY dog bite lineups... like ever. You might see "pit bull types" in these lineups, but you won't see an APBT.

I grew up with a few APBT. RedBoy, Chinaman, Spike... APBT dog lines. I don't see them anymore, all I see is "pit bulls".

They hardly exist anymore, as they are being wiped out along with the sport they were bred for, blamed for the bites of other breeds, and put to shame by idiots claiming their dogs are "pit bulls".

I'd never own one now... because the laws work so against them, I'd always worry that my dog would be blamed for something he didn't do and also, B.S.L. is sweeping the country (even the town over has implemented some ugly B.S.L. laws), but I grew up with and loved these dogs.

In the end... there is NO difference between that "nice looking pit bull" and a "REAL pit bull". That was my whole point.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2013, 04:12 PM
I too got it in one I haven't seen it before but recognised the other breeds other than one, but knew the pit bull wasn't as big. However, that pit is either a youngster or certainly quite lean. Pits are much easier to tell from the front view from the very wide chest they have.The photo of the pit is gorgeous though
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I too got it in one I haven't seen it before but recognised the other breeds other than one, but knew the pit bull wasn't as big. However, that pit is either a youngster or certainly quite lean. Pits are much easier to tell from the front view from the very wide chest they have.The photo of the pit is gorgeous though
Actually, American Pit Bull Terriers aren't usually very wide in the chest. Maybe "pit bulls" are, but not American Pit Bull Terriers bred from old game lines.

NO

YES

Not overly muscled. NO big feet or bowed elbows, and absolutely NO "blue" color.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2013, 07:02 PM
I have to hold my hands up and plead total ignorance on the subject of Pitbulls I find it totally confusing Just had a read through on Wiki none the wiser,just more confused
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >